Welcome to Western, New Transfer Students!
We're happy that you have chosen Western and look forward to supporting you in your continuing academic career. Here we provide information on how you can make a smooth transition to campus and find support for your academic goals and interests. If you don't find answers to your questions here, contact us and we will be happy to assist you further.
If you were unable to attend the Transitions Orientation program for new transfer students, your next step is to watch our online transfer advising tutorial. This video will cover graduation requirements, Western policies, class planning, and registration. Advisors are also available to meet with you in person or by phone to answer questions and help you register for fall quarter classes. To schedule an appointment with an advisor, call our front desk at 360-650-3850.
Who Do I See for Transfer Advising?At Western there are many people available to answer your questions and help you with academic planning:
- The Academic Advising Center (AAC) provides general advising to all students. The AAC can assist you with things like choosing a major, planning for graduation requirements, understanding your transfer credits, and much more! To set up an appointment with an advisor, call the AAC front desk at (360) 650-3850.
- As a transfer student, you should contact the department of your intended major as early as possible. Departments can provide detailed information on major requirements and the steps to declare. Once declared in your major, you will be assigned a departmental advisor who will work with you until graduation.
- Student Outreach Services (SOS) is also available for general advising. Find out more about SOS through their website or by calling (360) 650-3843.
Explore Majors at WWU
- Many students have ideas of possible majors and careers while they are involved in Running Start. Now is the time to start connecting those ideas to possible majors at WWU.
- Keep in mind some majors have prerequisite classes, a GPA requirement, and an application process/deadline.
- Explore Programs of Study at Western
- See what majors WWU offers.
- Learn how to declare a major—each Major Guide explains the specific requirements to declare that major and includes contact information for department advisors.
- Explore Academic Departments
- Check out the department websites to learn about the professors and the opportunities each department offers its students.
- Meet with faculty and staff advisors to discuss the opportunities and steps to declare the major.
- Not sure what you want to study? Have questions?
- Schedule a Choosing a Major appointment with an Academic Advising Center or Career Services Center advisor.
- Review the Academic Advising Center's comprehensive Choosing a Major website.
- Check out What Can I do with a Major in…?
- See what types of first jobs WWU grads get with different majors.
- Complete an assessment of your personality and/or interests as they relate to careers and majors.
Next Steps to Maximize your WWU Experience
- Get involved on campus through the Associated Students (AS) clubs and programs.
- Build your resume experience through internships, research projects, and volunteer experience—the Career Services Center can help.
- Connect with your professors during office hours.
I Haven't Been Admitted to Western Yet
Your first step as a prospective student is to meet with an Admissions counselor. Admissions counselors can answer questions about the application process, transferring credit, and available academic programs at Western. You can contact Admissions by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (360) 650-3440.
Online Resources for Transfer Students
- How do I check my progress toward graduation?
- Guide to Choosing a Major
- Understanding your Transfer Equivalency Report
- Career planning and internships
[Back to Top]
Transfer Student Links
Western's Majors and Minors (Programs of Study)
Transfer Equivalency Guide
Understanding your TER
You're in! Admissions Checklist
Upper Division Courses with Easier Access
Update your Academic Interest