Department: Engineering Technology
Research Areas: Thermoplastic and Thermoset Processing, Mold Design, Measurements of Polymer Surfaces
B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1994.
M.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Minnesota, 1996.
Manufacturing Engineer, Upchurch Scientific, 1996-1998,
- Reaction Injection Molding
- Using Designed Experiments to characterize the effect of processing and environmental variables on the quality of Polydicyclopentadiene
- Increasing mechanical properties by introducing various reinforcements
- Developing methods to quantify level of saturation of uncured PDCPD and cured PDCPD · Instrumentation to measure surface characteristics of polymers: Using Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy and Scanning Electron Microscopy to characterize polymers. · Design and construction of tooling for thermoplastic processing · Optimization of Fused Deposition Modeling · Undergraduate Research: Development of research activities with industry collaboration for undergraduate students. Since 1998:
- 61 undergraduate research projects have been supervised,
- 13 students have co-authored publications in journals and conference proceedings,
- 5 students have presented research in student sessions at conferences,
- 10 students have won or placed in national design contests