Anthropology FAQ's

General | Registration | Graduation


Major Declaration Questions

Q. When can I declare my major?
A. You can declare your major at any time AFTER successfully completing any one of the following core courses: Anth 301, 303 or 335.

Q. Where do I go to declare my major?
A. You can pick-up major information at the main Anthropology Office, Arntzen Hall 315. The Office staff will provide instructions and the office hours for our advisors.

Q. Are there any pre-requisites or restrictions, before I can declare my major?
A. Students are eligible to declare an anthropology major if they have successfully completed any one of the following core courses: Anth 301, 303, 335.
Majors that wish to complete a bio/anth BS/BA or a concentration in archaeology should seek advisement as soon as possible to complete the degree in a timely manner.

Q. What will I need to bring to the advising appointment?
A. Please complete forms prior to appointment. Please bring one completed major sheet, declaration card, degree planning guide, and grade reports or unofficial transcripts of courses taken at other universities or community colleges that you would like course credit. Forms are available in the Anthropology Office, AH 315.

Q. Will I receive credit for classes completed at another institution?
A. In general, students are given credit for anthropology courses completed at another accredited university or community college. Bring a copy of your Transfer Equivalency report from the Web4U page, which determines which major requirement the course will fulfill.

Q. What courses are required for an anthropology major?
A. The basic courses required for all Anth majors are Anth 201, Anth 210 & Anth 215, other courses required will depend on the type of major you declare. Click on the appropriate type below for a full listing.

Q. How do I declare a minor and what courses are required?
A. There is no formal application process for a minor. The Anthropology Office can provide a requirement sheet to keep track of your courses. A total of 25 credits are required. The core courses are 201, Anth 102 or 210 or 215 and electives to equal the total credits required. Click here for a full listing.

Q. What type of jobs are available for an anthropology major?
A. Undergraduates with anthropological training are actively employed in many fields in which their anthropological training and cross-cultural perspectives are valuable. Some of the fields are: investment banking; international and domestic merchandising; health care; personnel work; federal or state or local government; advertising; broadcasting; law; social work; state and local historical societies and at community arts organizations; and many areas of business.

Undergraduate training in Biological Anthropology provides the requisite background for some entry-level technical positions in disease control, at population centers, blood centers, forensic laboratories, medical schools and universities; and can serve as the basis for more advanced studies in the health-related professions (e.g. doctor, physician's assistant).

Archaeologists often work for federal agencies like the US Forest Service, state highway departments or state or local museums.

There are several sites that offer information about anthropologists. The following are sites that may be helpful:

American Anthropology Association at
Society for Applied Anthropology at
Society for American Archeology at
Archnet at
Society for Medical Anthropology at

back to top of general questions

Registration Questions

Q. Why is there a "major hold" on a course?
A. All 300 & 400-level courses ave available to Anthropology majors only for the first 3 days of registration to ensure that they are able to register for classes to complete their major. If you are a declared Anthropology major and cannot register for a course, please contact the main office at (360) 650-3620.

Q. Who do I contact for an override or permission codes?

A. All 100 & 200-level courses are handled by the Anthropology Office, AH 315. The 300 & 400-level are handled by the instructor, unless otherwise noted, and you will need to contact them individually for their procedures.

Q. How do I change my variable credits for Anth 470?

A. After registering for the course, go back to the main menu and select "Change Variable Credit Hours." This should allow you to change the number of credits from the minimum to the number of credits that you want.

Q. What is independent study and how do I sign up to earn credits?

A. Independent study credits can be earned for a number of different types of projects. Each instructor has a specific criteria for independent study credits. Select and contact the faculty member that is the closest to your interest area for their individual criteria.

Q. What is Anth 495-Teaching/Learning Processes in Anthropology (3 crs) and how do I sign-up?

A. You can earn 3 credits as a group discussion leader for one of our large classes, such as Anth 104-American Mosaic or Anth 201-Introduction to Cultural Anthropology and sometimes Anth 353-Sex & Gender. Group leaders are assigned to a group by the instructor and provided with instructions and discussion materials. Each instructor handles group discussions differently, so it is suggested that students contact the instructor prior to the quarter the course is offered. Contact the Anthropology Office to find out who requires group leaders.

back to top of registration

Graduation Questions

Q. When do I apply for graduation?
A. The senior major evaluation/degree application process must be completed no later than the last day of classes, two quarters before you plan to graduate. You will need to pick-up a "Degree Application" packet from the Registrar's Office and the major evaluation information from the Anthropology Office. Check out our page for instructions on what to do if you are Graduating.

Q. Where do I go for my major evaluation?
A. You will need to meet with your advisor or the main undergraduate advisor to complete the major evaluation. You can start by coming to the Anthropology Office, AH 315 with a freshly printed out Degree Evaluation, which is generated from your Web4U page. The office staff can answer general questions and provide current office hours for advisors.

Q. What will I need to bring to my major evaluation appointment?

A. Please complete all forms prior to your appointment. Bring a copy of your Degree Evaluation, an unofficial WWU transcript (this can be done on the Student Web4U or through the Anthropology Office),and any grade reports or unofficial transcripts from other universities or community colleges for course credit.

Q. What is Anth 496 - Senior Portfolio?
A. Beginning the academic year 2001-2002, the Anthropology Department will institute a new means of assessing the outcome of students' academic careers via a Senior Portfolio. This method of assessment will provide feedback to the department about the effectiveness of our curriculum in preparing students for their post-graduate career directions, and will also benefit students. Click here for more information about Anth 496, Senior Portfolio.

back to top of graduation


“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”

-- Margaret Mead

Page Updated 11.04.2013