How do I become an Art Education, Art History or Studio major?

Apply for Art Education and Studio major by submitting a portfolio of 12 pieces (CD, DVD or website) and application form. Students with an interest in art history as a major must have taken A/HI 275 and two 200-level art history surveys or pre-approved equivalent courses. Students must have a B average or higher in these classes to be considered for the Art History program. Send the portfolio/paper to: Portfolio Review, Department of Art, Western Washington University, Bellingham, WA 98225-9068. Or, deliver the portfolio to the Art Department Office (FI 116).

If my portfolio is rejected, may I reapply?

You may reapply at the next portfolio review date.


Does the Art Department offer minors?

A minor is offered in Art History. No minors are offered in Art Education or Studio.


Can I register for Art classes if I am not a declared major?

Art 109 (Visual Dialogue), and Art History 220 (Visual Culture in Ancient Greece/Rome), 221 (Visual Culture in Medieval Europe), 230 (Visual Culture in Western Europe 1400-1550), 231(Visual Culture Western Europe 1500-1700), 240 (Visual Culture Western Europe 19th Century) 241 (Visual Culture Western Europe/America 20th Century), 270 (Visual Culture in South and Southeast Asia) and 271 (Visual Culture in East Asia) are open to all students. [NOTE:If you are considering a particular area of specialization within the department, there may be specific Art History survey courses required as prerequisites. It is, therefore, recommended that you seek advisement within the specialization before registering for any of the surveys.]

Can a Western student, but a non-major, take an Art class?

You may try to get into the class on a space-available basis. Attend the first day of class for any possible open spaces. All pre-requisites must be completed. Department of Art Majors receive priority. Requests are further prioritized based on the total number of earned credits.


What can I do when a class is filled?

Put your name on the on-line Waiting List. Attend the first day of class. The instructor will fill any class openings from the Waiting List with priority given to Art majors with the highest number of credits. If the instructor has room in the class, an override permission slip will be signed; take this to the Art office. A space is opened in the class for the student and the student then registers through the web4u (online registration).

When do the Waiting Lists begin?

Waiting lists are available on-line.


When do Industrial Design and Fairhaven Students register for Art Department classes?

Industrial Design and Fairhaven students may register for open seats in art classes during Phase II of registration. If a class is already full, they should sign up on the electronic waiting lists and attend the first day of class.


Who do I see for advising?

All Faculty members serve as Departmental Advisors. At the time of admission, a primary advisor is assigned. Once enrolled, a student is encouraged to select an advisor from their primary area of interest. Students work with their advisor to create a customized Plan of Study which guides course selection during the program and becomes the basis of the Senior Evaluation for graduation.


What is a Plan of Study?

A Plan of Study should be designed with a faculty advisor by the time a student reaches 90 University credits. The Plan of Study lists all the courses to be taken in the Art Department by Studio, Art Education and Art History majors up to graduation. It may be revised with the consent of the faculty advisor but must be finalized by the time of Senior Evaluation.


Whom do I go to for evaluation of transfer Art credits?

100-level courses from other institutions usually transfer to Western as equivalents [Art 110, 120, 130 or 140]. If you have had a basic drawing, design and color, and/or three-dimensional design course elsewhere, you will not need to retake them at Western. Whatcom Community College Art 100 is the only accepted equivalent to Art 109.

To determine whether Washington community college classes are directly equivalent, consult the Transfer Course Equivalency Guide. For other courses, make an appointment to meet with a faculty member of the area in question. For example, if you took a beginning painting class at the community college, you should meet with the painting advisor to determine its equivalence.

It is very important that you meet with a Design advisor to determine if a transferred basic graphic design course meets the requirements of Western's DSGN 270, 251 or 252.


How do I do a Senior Evaluation?

Two quarters before graduation, the Registrar will send you a notice to get a Senior Evaluation done on your major. First see your advisor to update your Plan of Study. Bring the Plan of Study to the department office. The Senior Evaluation will be done by department staff and signed by the department Chair. The student will then take the Senior Evaluation form and Plan of Study along with the Application for Graduation form to the Registrar's office.


What can I teach with the P - 12 Art Specialist degree?

Earning that degree qualifies you to teach as an elementary, middle, and high school teacher. Elementary education students majoring in art will become generalists with a specialty in art.

Can I graduate with the Art Education course Plan of Study without completing the Education courses and admission to Woodring?

The Art Education course study plan was designed to be completed prior to the Education course study plan in order to secure a teaching certificate, in Art Education. Students CANNOT graduate without completing the requirements of both programs.


Need Help?

If you you need have any questions, please contact the Art Department Office (650-3660).