Fall Ensemble Auditions 2012-2013
WWU Bands invites all students who are enrolled at Western Washington University to audition for ensemble placement for the 2012-2013 academic year.
Available ensembles include:
Monday, September 24
9:00-11:45 AM Flutes
1:00-2:15 PM Bassoons/Oboes
2:15-3:45 PM Saxophones
4:15-5:15 PM Tuba/Euphonium
Tuesday, September 25
9:00-11:30 PM Clarinets
11:30-12:30 PM Horns
1:00-2:15 PM Percussion
2:30-4:00 PM Trombones
6:00-7:30 PM Trumpets
Audition Requirements: (6 minutes)
1. Portions of an etude, solo, or combination of orchestral excerpts that demonstrate your technical ability. (approximately 2 minutes)
2. Portions of an etude, solo or combination of orchestral excerpts that demonstrate your ability to play in a more lyrical, sustained style. (approximately 2 minutes)
3. Possible sight reading as determined by the audition panel.
1. An etude or solo of your choice to be played on Marimba (2 min.)
2. An etude or solo of your choice to be played on Snare Drum (2 min.)
3. An etude or solo of your choice to be played on Timpani (2min.)
Please sign up for an audition time as soon as you get to campus. Sheets will be posted by September 19 in the PAC on Lower Level II near room #24.
For convenience, incoming freshman should register for Symphonic Band. After auditions, if you are placed in a different ensemble, you can adjust your schedule accordingly. Returning students should register for the ensemble they were in last year. This will also be adjusted based upon your fall audition.
Please arrive for your audition at least 10 minutes prior to your scheduled time.
Placements are made for the entire year based on this audition. As positions open up in the various ensembles between terms there will be supplemental auditions at the discretion of the conductors.
Further questions should be directed to Christopher Bianco or Julie Hall in the WWU Music Office at 360-650-3130.