Risk Management - Safety: Theatre and Dance Technical Production and Sceen Shop

feet walking on a tightrope

(DRAFT webpage and under construction - do not use)


Welcome to the Technical Production safety toolkit!

As a Department of Theatre and Dance student, faculty, staff or community volunteer, you are visiting this web page to complete various action items to comply with state regulations and/or University health and safety requirements for technical production activities and use of the scene shop. 

Please carefully read and make sure you understand this information.  Your safety and that of your friends and colleagues depend on it.


(To be determined)


  • (To be added) A brief presentation for individuals involved in technical production and using the scene shop.

Guiding Documents

Safety Training

  • Hand Tool Safety
  • Portable Power Tool Safety
  • Ladder Safety
  • Fire Safety

    *Note: The Production Manager/Technical Director will provide other specific safety training for certain tools and equipment.

  • Accident Prevention Planning - The University's Accident Prevention Program is contained in Western's Green Safety Information Book in various sections.
  • Accident Reporting Requirements: Accidents should be reported within 24 hours to the Production Manager/Technical Director (x4985) or your faculty advisor. Accident report forms are available to print and complete with pen, or electronically.  Accident reports should never be used to assign blame but should focus on improving processes and equipment use to mitigate hazards and protect people more effectively into the future.
  • Chemical Waste Management - This is an information sheet for individuals who generate chemical waste. Print a copy for reference, if you wish. 

CPR/First Aid/AED Training

Volunteer Registration

  • Volunteer Registration - If you are a community volunteer, or a student the Production Manager/Technical Director has assigned responsibility of Student Leader, please complete the volunteer registration. As you will be serving a leadership role, you receive state liability insurance protection and limited medical benefits if you are injured in the course of performing your authorized volunteer duties.
  • Instructions: If you will be a volunteer, please print, complete and sign the one-page Application and Volunteer Time Sheet and bring it to the Production Manager/Technical Director in PAC 295C (x4985) for further instructions. You will not need a criminal background check, unless you are working with children or cash.

Vehicle Safety

  • Basic Driver Safety Program - If you will operate a vehicle on behalf of the University, the State of Washington regulations require that you to complete the state Basic Driver Safety Program. Instructions: The link takes you to web-based tools.  Please  print, complete and sign the one-page Safety Checklist for State Drivers while you complete the online action items. Bring it to the Production Manager/Technical Director in PAC 295C (x4985).
  • Van Training Program - CFPA has a 12-passenger van available for official use by CFPA departments. Contact the Facilities Office (Alona x4328, Fred x7711).  Special training and document requirements apply. Use of 15-passenger vans is prohibited by the University.
  • Field Trip Considerations

Hazardous Waste and Lab Safety Training

  • Hazardous Waste & Lab Safety Training - This training and quiz is for individuals who work with hazardous chemicals and generate hazardous waste. Instructions: Read the presentation and take the quiz. Your quiz score is sent to the University’s Environmental Health & Safety Office (EHS) for review.   EHS will forward it to the Production Manager/Technical Director for documentation.

Other Information

  • Student Health Insurance Coverage
    Health insurance also called medical insurance is not provided by the University.  Students are responsible for maintaining their own health insurance.  As a student you have paid an annual fee to gain access to the Student Health Center for primary care medical treatment, but this is not health insurance. An injury caused by an accident that requires emergency medical treatment in a hospital would not be covered by this fee.  This links takes you to information about the University’s voluntary student health insurance plan and others. 


Go to the Theatre Arts

Page Updated 05.17.2018