Philosophy of Religion
There are many excellent resources for further study in the philosophy of religion - what follows is just a subset. Each of the books listed have additional suggestions for further reading on the topics they discuss.
Below, you will also find two free online encyclopedias with dozens of articles regarding the philosophy of religion.
These are monographs intended for those who are new to the discipline.
- William Rowe, Philosophy of Religion: An Introduction, Wadsworth, 4th edition
We use this text in our introductory course at WWU. It is a very balanced, non-partisan presentation of the key issues.
- Michael Peterson, William Hasker, Bruce Reichenbach and David Basinger, Reason and Religious Belief: An Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion, Oxford University Press, 4th edition
- Michael Peterson and Raymond Van Arrogon, editors, Contemporary Debates in Philosophy of Religion, Blackwell
This text contains twelve debates between 24 contemporary philosophers of religion. Slightly more advanced.
- Michael Murray and Michael Rea, An Introduction to the Philosophy of Religion, Cambridge University Press
This text emphasizes philosophy of religion from a Christian point of view.
- Linda Zagzebski, Philosophy of Religion: An Historical Introduction, Blackwell
Unlike the other textbooks listed above, this text focuses on the issues in philosophy of religion in their historical context.
These are collections of essays and excerpts from both classical and contemporary primary sources.
- William Rowe and William Wainwright, editors, Philosophy of Religion: Selected Readings, Oxford University Press, 3rd edition
- Michael Peterson, William Hasker, Bruce Reichenbach and David Basinger, editors, Philosophy of Religion: Selected Readings, Oxford University Press, 4th edition
- Louis Pojman and Michael Rea, editors, Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology, Wadsworth, 5th edition
- Kelly Clark, editor, Readings in the Philosophy of Religion, Broadview, 2nd edition
Companions and handbooks
Listed below are collections of essays that are slightly more advanced than introductory textbooks but a rich resource for further study.
- Charles Taliaferro, Paul Draper, and Philip Quinn, editors, A Companion to the Philosophy of Religion, Blackwell 2nd edition
- William Wainwright, editor, The Oxford Handbook of Philosophy of Religion, Oxford University Press
- William Lane Craig and J.P. Moreland, editors, The Blackwell Companion to Natural Theology, Blackwell
- Daniel Howard-Snyder and Justin McBrayer, editors, A Companion to the Problem of Evil, Blackwell (forthcoming in 2013)
Free online encyclopedia articles
A search of “religion” on either one of these sites will give access to over 500 articles on philosophy of religion, the problem of evil, Christian theology, faith, the epistemology of religion, religious diversity, pragmatic arguments and belief in God, religion and morality.
- Faith and Philosophy
- Religious Studies
- International Journal for Philosophy of Religion
- European Journal for the Philosophy of Religion