Unacceptable Use

Unacceptable use of Western's PCard include, but are not limited to:

  • Gas/fuel for automobile owned by the University.
  • Pawn shops.
  • Personal use items (purchases must be for the official use of the University).
  • Personal or Client Services: Independent contractors, performer, consultants, and speakers.
  • Used Equipment: must be evaluated by appraisal or market study.
  • Cash advances
  • Purchases in excess of the limits authorized for the card
  • Gifts/donations
  • Splitting purchases to circumvent the daily or monthly purchase limits on a card, or to avoid competitive bidding limits or purchasing authority limits
  • Purchases between internal departments within an agency, unless prior written approval is received from OFM based on the requirements in Subsection 40.40.10
  • Except as noted below, purchases between state agencies. For interagency payments, the preferred payment method is Inter-Agency Payment (IAP). Journal vouchers may also be used to transfer funds between state agencies. Refer to Subsection 85.36.20. Exceptions to this are as follows:
    • When prior written approval is received from OFM based on the requirements in Subsection 40.40.10; or,
    • When the paying and/or receiving account is a local account, and the receiving agency has agreed to accept the inter-agency purchase card payments. Refer to Subsection 45.10.40
  • Prepayments unless otherwise authorized by statute or rule. Refer to Subsection 45.20.35
  • Purchases from any merchant, product, or service normally considered to be inappropriate use of state funds, including, but not limited to:
    • Items for personal use
    • Materials or services from any member of the card user's immediate family
    • Equipment, materials, services, or supplies restricted by state statues, rule, policies, procedures, guidelines or contractual agreements
    • Alcoholic beverages or liquor licenses, unless permitted by stature or rule

Your PCard CANNOT be used to purchase the follow items:

Purchases/Services provided through University Departments, you must contact departments below for their services.

  • All printing, copying, graphics, and copying including book binding and copy machines, ext 3914.
  • Facility Maintenance and Repair, ext 3749.
  • Telecommunications, All telecommunication, and data products, telephones, pre-paid phone cards and connection devices, contact ext 3600.
  • Vehicles, to use University-owned vehicles for travel in the Northwest area, Motor Pool Office, ext 3413.

Blocked Merchant Category Codes (MCC):

The following items are just a few items that are automatically restricted through the bank and transaction will be declined:

  • Cash advance.
  • Travel related expenses: Airline tickets, hotels/lodging, travel agencies, and car rental.
  • Transportation Services: Passenger rail, rental car, taxi, shuttle services, limousine services.
  • 4829 Wire transfer – Money Orders.
  • 6050 Electronic Cash Withdrawal.
  • 6051 Non-Financial Institutions - Foreign Currency, Money Orders (not wire transfer), and Travelers Checks.
  • 6211 Security Brokers/Dealers.
  • 6760 Savings Bonds.

For complete information on SAAM Chapter 45, Purchase Card Program refer to: http://www.ofm.wa.gov/policy/45.htm

For questions about the Purchasing PCard Guidelines, contact the PCard Administrator, x2080.

Page Updated 12.10.2012