Restricted Items

The following items, regardless of dollar amount, must be routed to Purchasing or the appropriate University Department as indicated. This list of restricted items is necessary to make sure we maintain compliance with state laws and regulations as well as University policies.

With prior, written approval, Purchasing may authorize PCard use.

The following items are restricted:

Route to Purchasing

Computer Equipment & accessories, printers, software, and web services

Why are computers, computer accessories, printers, software, and web services restricted?
WWU has contracts established with a number of computer vendors which give us very advantageous pricing. But more importantly, maintaining consistency and standardization on campus is very important to the smooth running of our campus network. Computers, computer accessories, printers, network items (switches and hubs, including wireless access points) that appear to be the same on the surface may have vastly different components "inside the box". A slight difference in network cards, for example, can cause significant problems in connecting to our network. There may also be network security issues.

Standardization of equipment allows ATUS/Computer Maintenance or the college IT professionals to stock standard parts, and be up-to-date on any recurring issues or problems. This in turn speeds up repair time. Computer Maintenance is an authorized service provider for Dell, HP, and Apple and the status of available warranty coverage can be easily confirmed.

What are web services?
Web services include domain names, site hosting through off campus vendors, and programs that connect to another web site that perform functions for WWU. The use of these types of programs, providers, services, etc. are especially sensitive if they ask for or store information that is covered by FERPA, HIPPA or credit card security regulations.

A web service includes hiring personnel to work on websites – from design to updates. This may include:

  • Custom coding/custom plugins
  • Site upgrades
  • Security audits
  • High performance configuration including using analytical tools
  • Hosting setup
  • Troubleshooting
  • Specialized blog permissions
  • Migration from one site to another
  • Digital signature certificates

Foreign purchases

This includes purchases from Canada.


Includes desks, tables, chairs, room dividers and shelving, carpeting, etc.

Personal office items

Includes decorative and give items, such as flowers.

Chartered transportation

Includes aircraft, bus service, watercraft, and any other transportation services unless under current Western contract.

Used equipment

Includes used vehicles and furniture.

Purchased services

Includes services such as stage set-up and installation or repair of equipment.

Personal services

Includes services such as organizational or analytical consultants and training.

Hazardous materials

Including radioactive chemicals, refrigerants, and otherwise hazardous chemicals and cleaners.

Goods or Services from other University Departments

Copier Support, ATUS

Covers all self-serve copiers. Submit all requests to Copier Support, x3545.

Facility mantenance and repair

Contact the Facilities Management Office at x3749.

Locking devices and reproduction of keys

Departments must complete the Lockshop Key Request esign form and forward it to Space Administration.

Printing and copy services

All printing and Copy Center copying including book binding. Submit all requests to Print & Copy Services x3914.


All telecom and data products including cell phones, telephones, pre-paid phone cards and connection devices. Contact Telecommunications at x3600 or visit the Telecom website.

University Communications

All graphics. Submit requests to University Communications, x2253.


To use University-owned vehicles for travel in the Northwest area, contact the Motor Pool Office, x3413.

Items Under contract

Non-Restricted Items available from State and University contracts may be acquired directly from the contract vendor by the department within their purchasing limits. You can find a list of state contracts on the Washington State Department of Enterprise Services page, or you can call the Purchasing office for information Western contracts at x3340.

Food & Beverages

Food and Beverages purchased with Chart 1 funds must have an approved Coffee Light Meal and Refreshment esign form attached. Reference the Web Form # on the Purchase Order.

Why are food and beverage items restricted?
Expenditures for food and beverage are very closely controlled due to our role as a state agency. It is very important for certain criteria to be met before state funds are used for this purpose.

In some cases exceptions can be granted. For instance, if the food is being purchased for a student activity, or for a laboratory experiment, or when state funds are definitely not being used (anything under a Chart 1 account is considered state funds).

Page Updated 10.09.2012