Current Mileage Rate: $.56 per mile
Check With Your Department First
Each school or department may have travel requirements over and beyond those of the State or University. These may be additional forms for trip approvals, justifications, reports, or differences in what amounts will be reimbursed for meals, lodging, or airfare. Larger departments may have a single travel coordinator who will make all of your arrangements whereas smaller departments may expect the traveler to do all of it. Be sure you know before your trip, the role your department plays in both planning and reimbursing for travel.
State Basic Driver Safety Program
The state of Washington requires all state drivers, including faculty, staff, students, and volunteers who may operate a vehicle of behalf of WWU, to complete the state Basic Driver Safety Program. You can find more information about the program on the Environmental Health & Safety website.
Enterprise Car Rental Contract
The Western traveler must be listed as the driver on the rental agreement. The entire rental expense is not reimbursable if any other person not on Western business is listed as a driver.
Important note: Vans with a capacity of 10 or more passengers may not be driven into Canada. If traveling to Canada with 10 or more people, please use multiple minivans.
Enterprise Office (Bellingham) 1852 N State St., 360-733-4363
If your trip involves personal travel time, please remember:
- for small amounts of personal use, you must keep track of miles driven and report that on your Travel Expense Voucher. Those miles will be deducted from your reimbursement at the current mileage rate;
- if personal use of rental car will be more than just a few miles, a separate rental contract must be made. You cannot continue on the business rental agreement for the personal portion of your trip.
- Unpaved/Off-road - If Western business requires the use of vans off-road or on unpaved roads:
- At time of rental renter should tell Enterprise staff that such use will occur.
- Renter Different Than Driver – If the person renting/reserving the car is different from the person who will drive the car:
- Renter should tell the Enterprise staff to write “WWU/name of the person signing the contract”, in the Renter section of the rental agreement.
- Additional Drivers – If there are multiple people who are authorized to do the driving:
- Renter should tell the Enterprise rental location to write “All authorized Western additional drivers” in the ADD section of the rental agreement.
- If using a PO (in-state only) reference the corporate account/customer number 45WA049.
- If using your credit card, reference the corporate account/customer number 45WA411.
- Reference "WWU" as the first 3 characters of the company's name.
- Decline the collision/loss damage waiver (CDW/LDW) and the supplemental liability insurance (SLI) because it is included in the Western contract.
- Decline promotional rates. These rates do not include the provisions of the contract.
- Decline any other type of insurance.
CDW/LDW is reimbursable if you accidentally accepted this type of insurance. Accepting any other type of insurance is your personal responsibility and is not reimbursable.
- Notify Enterprise at this time, if the van will be used on unpaved roads or off-road.
- If the person renting/reserving the car is different from the person who will drive the car tell the Enterprise staff to write “WWU/name of the person signing the contract”, in the Renter section of the rental agreement.
- If there are multiple people who are authorized to do the driving tell the Enterprise rental location to write “All authorized Western additional drivers” in the ADD section of the rental agreement.
At the Enterprise counter
- If your reserved vehicle class is not available when you arrive, Enterprise may offer you a different vehicle as a substitution which would be covered under the Western contract.
- Verify the daily rate with your reservation information.
While you have the car
- Keep track of your gas and parking expenses. Receipts are required for expenses over $50. Receipt is required regardless of cost for the car rental.
- If your rental car is in an accident, follow the Enterprise guidelines given to you when you picked up the car.
- Re-fuel to the top of the tank prior to returning the vehicle to avoid fuel charges.
- Use your Corporate Travel Charge Card for payment, unless the reservation was placed against a Purchase Order. In that case, Enterprise will bill WWU for the rental.
When you get home
- Attach the itemized car rental receipt or the finalized rental agreement that list the actual amount paid (regardless of cost) and any additional receipts for expenses over $50 to your Travel Expense Voucher (TEV) for reimbursement.
Other Car Rental Agencies
If you rent from another agency please use your Western Corporate Travel Card. If you do not use your Western Corporate Travel Card for payment, get the collision/loss damage waiver insurance.
- Current Mileage Rate: $.56 per mile
- If you drive your own car on University business, you are reimbursed the applicable rate for each mile driven.
- If you choose to drive your own car instead of flying, you are reimbursed the applicable rate for each mile driven up to the state contract airfare (if there is no contract fare, the lowest available coach fare) for the same trip.
- Compute the mileage as described above.
- You are responsible for your own car insurance. If you are in an accident, your insurance is the primary coverage .
- Daily commute transportation expenses between the traveler's official residence and official duty station is a personal obligation of the traveler and is not reimbursable by the state. All other miles driven on official state business are reimbursable.
- Working during hours or days that the employee is not normally scheduled to work does not entitle the employee to reimbursement for transportation mileage expenses incurred between their official residence and their official duty station.
- When an employee is assigned to work at more than one location within their official duty station, they may be reimbursed only for the local miles driven between the work locations.