Relocation Services

Who qualifies

The State of Washington allows agencies to assist newly hired or transferred permanent employees with relocation expenses, if a hiring department chooses to do so. Payment of expenses is normally limited to executive, professional, or administrative personnel in supervisory positions, or other personnel having both executive and professional status. If a new hire terminates, or causes termination of, employment with the University within one year of the date of appointment or transfer, the University is entitled to reimbursement for paid moving costs and may withhold such sums as necessary from any amounts due the employee.


Allowable Expenses

The state allows the agency to pay for moving up to 16,000 lbs. of household goods. The agency may pay a state-contracted commercial mover directly, or the employee may be reimbursed for expenses related to a self-move.

The Washington State moving expense regulations are very specific about what types of expenditures are allowed. The hiring department may limit the type of allowable expense it will reimburse, but it cannot pay more than is permitted by state regulations.


Page Updated 10.16.2013