Please review the Required Basic Driver Safety Program before driving a vehicle on behalf of WWU for Official University Business.
Use of your Personal Car for Business Travel
Current Mileage Rate
$.575 per mile
- If you drive your own car on University business, you are reimbursed the applicable rate for each mile driven.
- If you choose to drive your own car instead of flying, you are reimbursed the applicable rate for each mile driven up to the state contract airfare (if there is no contract fare, the lowest available coach fare) for the same trip.
- Compute the mileage as described above.
- You are responsible for your own car insurance. If you are in an accident, your insurance is the primary coverage .
- Daily commute transportation expenses between the traveler's official residence and official duty station is a personal obligation of the traveler and is not reimbursable by the state. All other miles driven on official state business are reimbursable.
- Working during hours or days that the employee is not normally scheduled to work does not entitle the employee to reimbursement for transportation mileage expenses incurred between their official residence and their official duty station.
- When an employee is assigned to work at more than one location within their official duty station, they may be reimbursed only for the local miles driven between the work locations.
FM Vehicle Leases
An affordable long-term vehicle lease program is available through campus as a potential cost saving alternative. Visit the WWU FM Vehicle Leases webpage for details.
Enterprise Car Rental Contract
Enterprise Office (Bellingham) 1852 N State St., 360.733.4363
To Rent the Car:
While you have the car
- Keep track of your gas and parking expenses. Receipts are required for expenses over $50. Receipt is required regardless of cost for the car rental.
- If your rental car is in an accident, follow the Enterprise guidelines given to you when you picked up the car.
- Re-fuel to the top of the tank prior to returning the vehicle to avoid fuel charges.
When you get home
- Attach the itemized car rental receipt or the finalized rental agreement that list the actual amount paid (regardless of cost) and any additional receipts for expenses over $50 to your Travel Expense Voucher (TEV) for reimbursement.
Important note: Vans with a capacity of 10 or more passengers may not be driven into Canada. If traveling to Canada with 10 or more people, please use multiple minivans.
Other Car Rental Agencies
If you rent from another agency please use your Western Corporate Travel Card. If you do not use your Western Corporate Travel Card for payment, get the collision/loss damage waiver insurance.
Western Washington University has partnered with Zipcar to bring self-service, on-demand car sharing to the area. As a member you get:
- Access to Zipcars 24/7.
- Discounted hourly rates for faculty, staff and students age 18 and older: rates start at just $7.50/hour or $69/day.
- Gas, insurance and maintenance are included for free!
- Join for only $25 a year, and receive $35 in driving credit your first month.
- Membership is free for University departments. Apply Now with University Travel Card.
Learn more and get started at www.zipcar.com/wwu .