Current Mileage Rate
1/1 - 12/31/18 - $.545 per mile
Optional Student Mileage Rate
1/1 - 12/31/18 - $.25 per mile
Use of your Personal Car for Business Travel
- If you drive your own car on University business, you are reimbursed the applicable rate for each mile driven.
- Compute mileage using Google Maps, or your actual odometer readings.
- Separate "point-to-point mileage" (getting from here to there and back again from "vicinity mileage" (going around at your destination). For vicinity miles, use your odometer reading and enter a description.
- The Miles in TEM are referred to as “units”.
- If you choose to drive your own car instead of flying, you are reimbursed the applicable rate for each mile driven up to the state contract airfare (if there is no contract fare, the lowest available coach fare) for the same trip.
- Compute the mileage as described above.
- You are responsible for your own car insurance. If you are in an accident, your insurance is the primary coverage .
- Daily commute transportation expenses between the traveler's official residence and official duty station is a personal obligation of the traveler and is not reimbursable by the state. All other miles driven on official state business are reimbursable.
- Working during hours or days that the employee is not normally scheduled to work does not entitle the employee to reimbursement for transportation mileage expenses incurred between their official residence and their official duty station.
- When an employee is assigned to work at more than one location within their official duty station, they may be reimbursed only for the local miles driven between the work locations.
The following diagram depicts reimbursable and non-reimbursable privately owned vehicle (POV) mileage:
Mileage Reimburstment Examples
Enterprise Car Rental Contract
Enterprise Office (Bellingham) 1852 N State St., 360-733-4363
- Enterprise Reservation Website
**See Enterprise Reservation Instructions Below**
- Enterprise State Contract
- Print your Enterprise Rental Receipt
- Emerald Club Loyalty Program
The Western traveler must be listed as the driver on the rental agreement. The entire rental expense is not reimbursable if any other person not on Western business is listed as a driver.
Travelers/departments are encouraged to sign up for the Emerald Club Loyalty Program. In addition to earning rewards it assists with billing. If your trip involves personal travel time, please remember:
- For small amounts of personal use, you must keep track of miles driven and report that on your Travel Expense Voucher. Those miles will be deducted from your reimbursement at the current mileage rate.
- If personal use of rental car will be more than just a few miles, a separate rental contract must be made. You cannot continue on the business rental agreement for the personal portion of your trip.
- Unpaved/Off-road– This is restricted through Enterprise. Please contact Fountain Rental & Leasing 360-733-7420 2010 Broadway St. Bellingham, WA 98225
- Renter Different Than Driver – If the person renting/reserving the car is different from the person who will drive the car:
- Renter should tell the Enterprise staff to write “WWU/name of the person signing the contract”, in the Renter section of the rental agreement.
- Additional Drivers– If there are multiple people who are authorized to do the driving:
- Renter should tell the Enterprise rental location to write “All authorized Western additional drivers” in the ADD section of the rental agreement.
- Decline the collision/loss damage waiver (CDW/LDW) and the supplemental liability insurance (SLI) because it is included in the Western contract.
- Decline promotional rates. These rates do not include the provisions of the contract.
- Decline any other type of insurance.
- CDW/LDW is reimbursable if you accidentally accepted this type of insurance. Accepting any other type of insurance is your personal responsibility and is not reimbursable.
- If the person renting/reserving the car is different from the person who will drive the car tell the Enterprise staff to write “WWU/name of the person signing the contract”, in the Renter section of the rental agreement.
- If there are multiple people who are authorized to do the driving tell the Enterprise rental location to write “All authorized Western additional drivers” in the ADD section of the rental agreement.
At the Enterprise Counter
- If your reserved vehicle class is not available when you arrive, Enterprise may offer you a different vehicle as a substitution which would be covered under the Western contract.
- Verify the daily rate with your reservation information.
Using the Car
- Keep track of your gas and parking expenses. Receipts are required for all gas, and for parking expenses over $50.
- If your rental car is in an accident, follow the Enterprise guidelines given to you when you picked up the car.
- Re-fuel to the top of the tank prior to returning the vehicle to avoid fuel charges.
- Attach the itemized car rental receipt reflecting payment and any additional receipts to your TEM Travel Reimbursement (TR).
**Enterprise Reservation Instructions
To begin your reservation select the payment method: Purchase Order or Credit Card. Please note that Department Travel Cards or One Cards used for a department's travel booking need to have a billing account number set up with by completing an Enterprise Agency Profile Form.
Make selections based on your needs. Click "Search".
Select your Location.
Select your Vehicle.
Enter the Renter’s information and click "Yes" under the Corporate Account Details. This will open the option to enter your PO number.
If paying by card, you will need to enter your department’s specific billing number instead of the PO number to complete the reservation (and to have the rental charged to the purchase card).
Other Car Rental Agencies
If you rent from another agency please use your Western Corporate Travel Card. If you do not use your Western Corporate Travel Card for payment, get the collision/loss damage waiver insurance.
For shuttles in western Washington, contact Airporter Shuttle at 360.380.8800
Western Washington University has partnered with Zipcar to bring self-service, on-demand car sharing to the area. Learn more and get started at www.zipcar.com/wwu .
As a member you get:
- Access to Zipcars 24/7.
- Discounted hourly rates for faculty, staff and students age 18 and older: rates start at just $7.50/hour or $69/day.
- Gas, insurance and maintenance are included for free!
- Join for only $25 a year, and receive $35 in driving credit your first month.
- Membership is free for University departments. Apply Now with University Travel Card.
To use Zipcars
- Simply register as a member,
- Reserve a car online or by phone,
- Use your Zipcard to enter the car, and drive away.
- When you’re done, return the car to the same location where you picked it up.
- Use your Zipcard to lock the car.
For full information visit zipcar.com/universities/how or look for information in the Co Pilot book located in the zipcar glove box.
Zipcars are located:
|1 Car:||7G – In the first parking space by the pay station||Close to Higginson, Edens, Edens N|
|1 Car:||15R – In Reserved Space 553 near the handicapped parking spaces.||Close to the Ridgeway Commons|
|1 Car:||12A – in the first parking space on the left as you enter the parking lot (the space closest to the fire hydrant which is located on South College Drive).||Close to Fairhaven and Buchanan Towers|
Parking a Zipcar in any campus location other than the designated Zipcar parking spaces requires the appropriate university parking permit.
Please review the Required Basic Driver Safety Program before driving a vehicle on behalf of WWU for Official University Business.