Need Cash up Front?
Travel Advances are strictly regulated by IRS, State, and university policies. Travel Services endeavors to prevent any violation of these policies which may result in repayment of expenses and/or unnecessary taxes. Only employees are eligible for advances and travelers are the only person who can submit the request.
A Travel Advance is a reimbursement of estimated expenses prior to the trip for employees and student employees. The amount an employee is eligible for depends on the type of travel and anticipated expenses (See Advance Rule Classes below.)
- Your advance should be requested at least 10 days before you travel.
- Advances are paid out by direct deposit or mailed check based on your reimbursement settings. You can see how you’ll be paid by clicking on the “Profile” tab in TEM. If you should be receiving Direct Deposit and it is not showing on the profile tab, please adjust your Direct Deposit Settings in Web4U. (Link Document Here with instructions)
- An advance will automatically pay out 7-10 days before the trip occurs.
- All travelers must reconcile their advance by the 10th of the month following their trip. Travelers may request an extension by emailing Travel Services and cc’ing their supervisor with the reason for the delay and their action plan to complete the reconciliation by the 25th.
- Review the Requesting a Travel Advance Quick Sheet for details.
*ADVANCE RULE CLASSES IN TEM (which option should I choose?):
- Faculty/Staff = Individual Travel. You’re not responsible for anyone else’s expenses. You may request up to 80% of per diem meals and lodging.
- Group = You are a trip leader responsible for meal and/or lodging expenses of other travelers. You may request up to 100% of per diem meals and lodging.
- Athletics = For use by Athletics team travel only. You may request up to 100% of per diem meals and lodging.
- Foundation = For use with Chart 2 funds only. Will be subject to percentage of per diem depending on group or individual travel.
If you are traveling as a group leader and are requesting a Group Travel Advance for Meals, you may reconcile this in two ways.
- You may post detailed receipts for group meals with meals and beverages showing and claim exact amounts as “Meals – Actual”.
- You may claim per diem for other travelers by handing them the cash from the advance and having them sign a sheet stating they received the cash from you.
Travel Advance Repayment
Travelers who need to repay an unused advance must pay with check or credit card online at WWU Travel Advance CashNet. Electronic check payments are free and credit card payments are charged a bank transaction fee. This allows travelers to make payments remotely and also prevents payments from posting to the incorrect fund.
Travelers who choose to pay with cash may still make payments in the Student Business Office. The Student Business Office will not accept checks or credit cards for advance repayments. You must bring your TA number and a code based on the Advance Rule Class you chose. Please provide the following based on the Advance Rule Class:
- Faculty/Staff = Individual Travel. Code: TARS
- Group = You are a trip leader responsible for meal and/or lodging expenses of other travelers. Code: TARG
- Athletics = For use by Athletics team travel only. Code: TARA
- Foundation = For use with Chart 2 funds only. Code: TARF