Need Cash up Front?
Employees are eligible for advances based on the estimated reimbursable expenses.
- Travel Advances are strictly regulated by IRS, State, and university policies. Travel Services endeavors to prevent any violation of these policies which may result in repayment of expenses and/or unnecessary taxes.
- Request at least 10 days before the itinerary start date.
- Advances are paid out 7-10 days before the trip by direct deposit or mailed check based on your reimbursement settings. Direct Deposit is set up under Web4U with the “AP” check box. Please contact Human Resources Payroll Assistant Kate.Camacho@wwu.edu if you experience difficulties with this.
All travelers must reconcile their advance by the 10th of the month following their trip. Travelers may request an extension by emailing Travel Services and cc’ing their supervisor with the reason for the delay and their action plan to complete the reconciliation by the 25th.
TYPES OF TRAVEL CASH ADVANCES:
Individual Travel. Traveler is not responsible for anyone else’s expenses. You may request up to 80% of per diem meals and lodging.
The trip leader is responsible for the meal and/or lodging expenses of other travelers. You may request up to 100% of per diem meals and lodging. Group Meals may be reconciled two ways:
- Claim exact amounts as “Meals – Actual” including a detailed restaurant and/or grocery receipts for group meals with meals and beverages showing and a list of authorized attendees. Attendees must be in travel status or authorized on an FBA form for Chart 1. For group meals on Chart 2 attendee authorization is optional via a FBA Form for Chart 2. Amounts, including tax and tip, may not exceed per diem rates per person. Documentation should clearly indicate which meal(s) (breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack) the receipt represents.
- Claim “Meals – Per Diem” for other travelers by handing them the cash from the advance and having them sign a sheet stating they received the cash from you. This signed sheet including accurate dates and amounts serves as your receipt and must be submitted with your expense report. Documentation should clearly indicate which meal(s) (breakfast, lunch, dinner) were used to calculate the cash payment.
- If you mix methods, meals must be deducted from the per diem rate for meals you claim as “actual” with a receipt. Documentation should clearly indicate which meals are paid using per diem, and which meals are paid directly as an ‘actual’ meal.
Group Advance Distribution Log
For use by Athletics team travel only. You may request up to 100% of per diem meals and lodging.
- Foundation = For use with Chart 2 funds only. Will be subject to percentage of per diem depending on group (100%) or individual travel (80%).
Travel Advance Repayment
Travelers who need to repay an unused advance may pay with free by electronic check or by credit card online with a bank fee at WWU Travel Advance CashNet.