About Campus Recreation
Campus Recreation Services at Western Washington University provides each student, faculty and staff member the opportunity to become actively involved in individual or organized sports, fitness and wellness programs. The centerpiece of the department is the Wade King Student Recreation Center, which allows members to take advantage of a wide range of fitness and recreation offerings. The department also oversees WWU's popular intramural sports programming, club sports teams and faculty/staff wellness programs.
Campus Recreation Services strives to empower the Western community to achieve and maintain a healthy lifestyle, and develop leadership abilities by providing the highest quality of recreational and co-curricular programs and services in an environmentally sustainable facility.
- Through the fitness and wellness classes, personal training services, dietitian and rehab/injury prevention services we offer our students the opportunities to achieve and maintain a healthy and balanced lifestyle while at WWU.
- External partnerships with Extended Education, Prevention Wellness Services and Dining Services. Internal partnerships between fitness, nutrition counseling and injury prevention services.
- Students have the opportunity to develop their leadership skills through involvement with the Campus Recreation Advisory Council, Sport Club Council, and the Intramural and Sport Club programs, and active engagement in other employment areas.
- We also offer advanced levels of student employment in areas such as; Personal Trainers, Building and Intramural supervisors, Youth Camp Counselors, Fitness and Swim Instructors.
- Continue to maintain sustainable practices to insure compliance with our LEED certification.
Statement of Inclusion of Transgender Students
Campus Recreation Services strives to support transgender students at WWU. We encourage students to participate in all recreational programs, including intramurals and sport clubs, based on their expressed gender identity.
If you are a transgender student who has questions regarding competing for Western Washington University Sport Clubs during inter-collegiate competition, please contact the Assistant Director of Sport Clubs listed on the Campus Recreation Services website.
About the Wade King Student Recreation Center
First opened in 2003, the Wade King Student Recreation Center is a state of the art open recreation fitness and wellness facility that has been created and shaped by the vision and support of Western students. Through a referendum process, students voted to assess themselves a fee to construct and operate a facility that would provide quality recreational space on campus.
The design team of OPSIS/BJSS Duarte Bryant designed a Northwest regional look for both the exterior and interior of the building. The building materials combination of brick, concrete and glass, along with the warmth of wood, were characteristics from each of the existing south campus buildings that were incorporated into the recreation center.
The Wade King Student Recreation Center was one of the nation’s first recreation centers designed to meet LEED (Leadership in energy and environmental design) Certification. This building is also the first Western Washington University facility to be LEED Certified. The LEED point system gives credit for steps taken to create efficient, sustainable facilities that are environmentally sound.
The Student Recreation Center offers a wide variety of equipment available for checkout by members who have a current Western Washington University ID card.
- Badminton Racquets
- Weight Lifting Belts and Straps
- Boxing Gloves
- Exercise Balls
- Jump Ropes
- Indoor Soccer Balls
- Table Tennis Equipment
- Indoor Hockey Sticks, Pucks and Goalie Pads
- Basketballs (men's and women's)
Adaptive Motion Trainer - Precor AMT 100i
The AMT does more than customize a workout, it customizes a movement -- adapting to your motion -- which means you can completely change the motion and paths of your steps without so much as the push of the button. By allowing you to alter your motion at the slightest whim of your imagination, no two workouts have to feel the same. This keeps your mind engaged and your body torn between wanting to experiment with new movements and needing a second to catch your breath.
Leg Extension - Paramount AP-2000
- Heavy-duty four bar linkage seat adjusts easily to five settings from seated position.
- Contoured leg pad assembly with six settings and cam, both use 1-3/8" solid steel shaft with lifetime lubricated sealed ball bearings.
- Contoured lumbar support pad provides proper back positioning and comfort.
- Unique Paramount dual offset axis cam design provides accurate resistance force curve and load ratio.
- Available with optional range of motion limiter.
- Dimensions: 48" x 43" Stands 63"
Lever Row - Paramount PFW-5500
- Nonskid foot platform.
- Both wide and narrow handgrip.
- Heavy duty swivel plate rack assembly handles up from 11-45lb plates.
- Dimensions: 46" x 86" Stands 45"
Tread Mill - Precor Fitness C 966, 956, 854
Precor treadmills are an attraction in fitness facilities worldwide and a favorite among world class runners. Exercisers control speed, incline and time. C966 readouts include time, distance, speed, incline, minutes per mile, watts, mets, calories, calories per minute and heart rate.
Elliptical Fitness Crosstrainer - Precor Fitness EFX 556
This Precor cross trainer is the only exercise equipment that matches this elliptical shape with a patented machanism that weds a rear flywheer with a forward foot pedal -- creating a smooth, elliptical movement that mimics a natural running motion.
Upright Bike - SciFit ISO 7000
SciFit recumbent bikes feature a true adjustable step through that adjusts up to a full 23 inches for safe and easy access. Bi-directional resistance allows user to exercise reciprocal muscle groups. Ideal for overall balance of exercise. Also ideal for therapy and sports performance settings.