Why is networking important?
Networking is a powerful tool to use in your internship and job search. Over 80% of all job openings are not advertised. Why? Most employers use their networks first (LinkedIn, Twitter, staff, friends) to identify potential candidates for their positions. According to a recent survey by the U.S. Department of Labor, networking accounts for at least 69% of all annual hires! By taking advantage of the links below you will be on your way to successfully networking for that internship or job!
- Managing your Online Presence
- 30 Second Elevator Speech
- Social Media Tips
- The Ask! program is an online network created by the Western Alumni Association to connect WWU students and alumni for professional mentoring and career networking.
- Informational Interviews are an important way to meet prospective employers and learn about the industry
- Network with the Career Services Center:
Facebook and Twitter, and Linked In
- Find more information on Linked In with guides to building a professional profile and tools to search for connections and jobs
- Guide to Business Cards
- Current Jobs and Internships
- Job Search
- Interview Process
- On-Campus Interviews
- International Opportunities
- Career Fairs
- Reference Files
- Employment & Salary Information
- Students with Disabilities
- Diversity Resources
- Students Without Documents
- International Students
Graduate School & Preprofessional Advising