Book of the Month: February 2017
Starting & Building a Nonprofit: A Practical Guide
Author: Peri H. Pakroo
Reviewed by: Hanna Hupp
This fascinating and comprehensive book provides an incredibly detailed view into the world of nonprofits, offering advice, information, and resources for people involved in nonprofits at every level. Though the book is primarily aimed at people who already work within the nonprofit world, I myself found it to be incredibly useful as an introduction to the ins and outs of what it takes to run a successful business and effectively make a difference.
As someone who is interested in working for nonprofits after graduation, or even starting my own someday, I appreciated the in-depth information about developing and maintaining a budget, fundraising, marketing, hiring, and much more.
Working, interning, or volunteering for a non-profit - or starting your own - can be a wonderful way to bring activism and advocacy into your career, and to support a mission that you are truly passionate about! This excellent and informative book will give you all the tools you need successfully develop and run a thriving nonprofit.
Did You Know?
- Nonprofits are mission-driven organizations. All the activities, decisions, and goals that the nonprofit makes should stem from this central mission statement.
- Nonprofits often advertise available jobs, internships, or volunteer positions online at Idealist.org, HandsOnNetwork.org, and VolunteerMatch.org.
- Nonprofits succeed by building relationships and cultivating community. Especially when fundraising, individuals and communities are much more inclined to support an organization that they know and trust.
- College to Career Transition
- Resumes, Cover Letters & Portfolios
- Graduate School Advising
- Law School Advising
- Pre-Healthcare Advising