The Career Services Center provides assistance to individuals with graduate school goals through individual appointments, workshops, information fairs, reference materials, and other resources.
Several types of graduate and professional degrees exist: Master's Degree (MA, MBA, MEd, MFA, MIT, MS, MSW, etc.) These vary in structure and include:
- course-based programs (students satisfy a required program of studies),
- comprehensive exam programs (students must pass an examination following completion of required coursework),
- thesis-type programs (students complete required coursework as well as submit a thesis, an original piece of research), and
- proficiency-based programs (common to creative disciplines, students demonstrate proficiency in their area of studies).
Professional Degree (DDS, DO, DVM, JD, MD, PharmD, etc.)
These prepare individuals to enter specific professions such as dentistry, law, medicine, pharmacy, and so forth).
Doctoral Degree (EdD, PhD, PsyD, etc.)
These are the highest degrees awarded. Candidates complete an academic program of study and a comprehensive exam. Most require a significant work of original research culminating in a dissertation.
One must be mindful that gaining admission is competitive and the process requires time (in some cases a year or longer) to adequately research, plan and execute.
Critical factors to consider include:
- Validating your interests,
- Developing an outstanding applicant profile,
- Identifying suitable programs,
- Choosing where to apply,
- Budgeting for application fees and related costs,
- Considering financial options to offset costs,
- Preparing for admission examinations,
- Cultivating connections with people who may write letters of recommendation,
- Composing and refining an error-free personal statement, and
- Completing application forms in a timely manner.
- Job Search
- International Opportunities
- Career Fairs
- Employment & Salary Information
Graduate School & Preprofessional Advising
- Students with Disabilities
- Diversity Resources
- Undocumented Students
- International Students