Western's 'Grandparents U' Program Set for Sessions in Bellingham, Anacortes and Seattle This Summer
Contact: Diana Bakkom, Western Washington University Extended Education, (360) 650-6821 or email@example.com.
BELLINGHAM – Western Washington University’s “Grandparents U” summer program for grandparents and their grandchildren ages 7-14 offers quality programs in three locations this July and August.
In addition to Bellingham and Anacortes, the program will expand to Seattle this summer in its mission to offer strong bonding experiences to grandparents and their grandchildren.
Each two-day intergenerational summer program provides participants a chance to spend quality time together while exploring popular topics taught by Western faculty. Offerings include:
Bellingham, Western Washington University Campus
Thursday and Friday, July 18-19:
- Astronomy - Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star, How I Wonder ...
- Chemistry - Not Just Your Parent's Chemistry Set
- Science - Feathered Wonders of the Pacific Northwest: An Introduction to Birds and Bird Watching
- Technology - Building an Infrared Voice and Music Wireless Transmitter
- Visual Arts - Bringing Books to Life through Art: Writing, Sculpting and Painting Your Own Stories
- Visual Arts - Colorful Journals A-Plenty
Anacortes, Shannon Point Marine Center
Monday and Tuesday, Aug. 5-6 or Wednesday and Thursday, Aug. 7-8:
- Shannon Point Marine Ecology (ages 7-10)
- Shannon Point Marine Ecology (ages 10-14)
Seattle, North Seattle Community College
Monday and Tuesday, Aug. 12-13:
- Visual Arts - Bringing Books to Life through Art: Writing, Sculpting and Painting your own Stories
A rapidly growing program, Western’s Extended Education department first offered “Grandparents U” in Bellingham in 2008 and expanded the program to the university’s Shannon Point Marine Center in Anacortes in summer 2012.
“The continued expansion of “Grandparents U” into Seattle demonstrates Western’s commitment to serving the people of Washington state by providing lifelong learning opportunities across generations,” said Western’s Extended Education Vice Provost Earl F. Gibbons.
Registrations are currently being accepted online and early registration is encouraged to reserve your favorite topic. Western Washington University alumni, faculty and staff are eligible for a $25 registration discount at any of the three program locations. North Seattle Community College alumni, faculty and staff are eligible for a $25 registration discount to the Seattle program.