Michael Fraas, Ph.D., CCC-SLP
Assistant Professor, CCC-SLP
Department of Communication
Education and Training:
B.A. – Bowling Green State University
M.A. – University of Cincinnati
PhD – University of Cincinnati
Assistant Professor, Communication Sciences and Disorders
CSD 251 – Introduction to Communication Disorders
CSD 356 – Phonetics
CSD 597E – Adult and Pediatric Dysphagia
CSD 597F – Professional Issues
CSD 597G – Cognitive Communication Disorders
Areas of Research Interest:
Cognitive-motor interference following acquired brain injury
Quality of life issues following acquired brain injury
- Fraas, M. (2011). Enhancing quality of life for survivors of stroke through phenomenology. Topics in Stroke Rehabilitation 18 (1), 40-45.
- Cicerone, K.D., Langenbahn, D.M., Braden, C., Malec, J.F., Kalmar, K., Fraas, M., Felicetti, T., Laatsch, L., Harley, J.P., Bergquist, T. (2011). Evidence-based cognitive rehabilitation: Updated review of the literature from 2003 through 2008. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 92 (4), 519-530.
- Fraas, M. & Bellerose, A. (2010). Mentoring programme for adolescents with acquired brain injury. Brain Injury, 24 (1), 50-61.
- Fraas, M. & Calvert, M. (2009). The use of narratives to identify characteristics leading to a productive life following acquired brain injury. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 18, 315-328.
- Fraas, M. & Balz, M. (2008). Electronic journal writing: Communicative freedom for adults with acquired brain injury. Journal of Psycholinguistic Research 37 (2), 115-24.
- Fraas, M., Balz, M., and DeGrauw, W. (2007). Meeting the long-term needs of adults with acquired brain injury through community-based programming. Brain Injury 21 (12) 1267-81.
- Fraas, M. & Calvert, M. (2007). Brain injury oral history project: Helping to change attitudes and beliefs about acquired brain injury. Disability and Rehabilitation, 29 (18), 1444-59.
- Fraas, M. (2006). Computer-assisted name-face recall. Cognitive Technology, 11 (2), 10-16.
- Fraas, M., McConn, A.M., Hull, R.A., Weiler, E.M., Sandman, D.E., & Van Vliet, L. (2005). Personality Types at 3 Universities. Hearsay: Journal of the Ohio Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 17, 41-45.
- Fraas, M., Neils-Strunjas, J., Shidler, M., Krikorian, R., & Weiler, E. (2002). “What’s his name?” A comparison of elderly participants and undergraduate students misnamings. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics. 34, 155-165.
- Fraas, M. An Update on Evidenced-Based Cognitive Rehabilitation: Effective Treatments for Meeting the Needs of Adults with Acquired Brain Injury. Invited lecture to be presented at the Kentucky Speech-Language and Hearing Association annual conference. Covington, KY; 11 February, 2011.
- Fraas, M. Evidence-based cognitive rehabilitation: Modal, multi-modal, and holistic approaches throughout the rehabilitation continuum. Invited lecture presented at the Pennsylvania Speech-Language Hearing Association annual conference. Pittsburg, PA; 12 April, 2008.
- Fraas, M. Brain injury: Orthodox and alternative approaches to assessment and treatment of cognitive function. Invited workshop presented at the Maine Speech-Language Hearing Association’s annual conference. Portland, ME; 28, October, 2005.
- Fraas, M. Complementary and Alternative Medicine Approaches to Treating Speech-Language Pathology Related Issues. Invited talk presented at the New Hampshire Speech-Language Hearing Association’s annual conference. Concord, NH; 8 April, 2005.
- Fraas, M., Coughlin, G., Gissane, C., McCarthy, C., & Hart, E. Incidence, Knowledge, and Management of Concussion in Irish Rugby Union. Joint conference of the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine and the American Society of NeuroRehabilitation. Vancouver, BC, Canada; October 11, 2012.
- Hart, E. & Fraas, M. Concussion occurrence and knowledge in Irish Rugby. Illinois Speech-Language and Hearing Association Annual Convention. Rosemont, IL; February 9, 2012.
- Gottwald, S.R., Warner, R., Hartley, J., Fraas, Hawver, K., & M., St. Louis, K. Altering attitudes towards stuttering through oral histories. American Speech-Language Hearing Association Annual Convention. San Diego, CA; November 18, 2011.
- Fraas, M., McCarthy, C., Coughlin, G.F., & Hart, E. Concussion occurrence and knowledge in Irish Rugby Union. Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland: 8th Annual Sports and Exercise Medicine Scientific Conference. Dublin, Ireland; 8 September, 2011.
- Fraas, M. & Wendt, K. EEG Neurofeedback for the treatment of cognitive and emotional issues following traumatic brain injury. Illinois Speech-Language and Hearing Association annual convention. Rosemont, IL; February 11, 2011.
- Fraas, M. & Bellerose, A. The benefits of a mentoring relationship for a Mentor and his protégé, both survivors of acquired brain injury. American Speech-Language Hearing Association Annual Convention. New Orleans, LA; 20 November, 2009