Associates of the Center have made significant contributions to the literature in cross-cultural psychology. The selected publications listed below are:
Journal Articles and Monographs
- Sattler, D. N., Glower de Alvarado, A. M., Blandon de Castro, N., Van Male, R., Zetino, A. M., Vega, R. R. (in press). El Salvador earthquakes: Relationships among acute stress disorder symptoms, depression, traumatic event exposure, and resource loss. Journal of Traumatic Stress.
- Taylor, S.E., Lehman, B.J., Kiefe, C. I., & Seeman, T. E. (in press). Relationship of early life stress and psychological functioning to adult C-reactive protein in the CARDIA study. Biological Psychiatry.
- Taylor, S.E., Welch, W. Y., Hilmert, C. J., Lehman, B. J., & Way, B. M. (in press). Early Family Environment, Current Adversity, the Serotonin Transporter (5-HTTLPR) Polymorphism, and Depressive Symptomatology. Biological Psychiatry.
- Graham, J. M., Liu, Y. J., & Jeziorski, J. L. (2006). The Dyadic Adjustment Scale: A reliability generalizability meta-analysis. Journal of Marriage and Family, 68, 701-717.
- Lehman, B. J., Taylor, S. E., Kiefe, C. I., & Seeman, T. E. (2005). Relation of childhood socioeconomic status and family environment to adult metabolic functioning in the CARDIA study. Psychosomatic Medicine, 67, 846-854.
- Nazemi, H., Kleinknecht, R. A., Dinnel, D. L., Lonner, W. J., Nazemi, S., Shamlo, S., & Shoban, A. (2003). A study of panic attacks among university students in the Islamic Republic of Iran. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 25(3), 191-201.
- Burton, C. Stevenson, J., Williams, D., Everson, P., Mahoney, E., & Trimble, J. (2003). Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (AD/HD) and fluctuating asymmetry (FA) in a college sample: An exploratory study. American Journal of Human Biology, 15, 601-619.
- Nayak, M. B., Byrne, C. A., Martin, M. K., & Abraham, A.G. (2003). Attitudes regarding violence against women: A cross-nation study. Sex Roles, 49, 333-342.
- Fisher, C., Hoagwood, K., Duster, T., Frank, D., Grisso, T., Levine, R., Macklin, R., Spencer, M. B., Takanishi, R., Trimble, J., & Zayas, L. (2002). Research ethics for mental health science involving ethnic minority children and youth. American Psychologist, 57(12), 1024-1040.
- Dinnel, D. L., Kleinknecht, R. A., & Tanaka-Matsumi, J. (2002). A cross-cultural comparison of social phobia symptoms. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 24(2), 75-84.
- Sattler, D. N., Preston, A., Kaiser, C., Olivera, V. E., Valdez, J., & Schlueter, S. (2002). Hurricane Georges: A cross-national study examining preparedness, resource loss, and psychological distress in the U. S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, and the United States. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 15, 339-350.
- Sattler, D. N., & Marshall, A. (2002). Hurricane preparedness: Improving television hurricane watch and warning graphics. International Journal of Mass Emergencies and Disasters, 20, 41-49.
- Matsumoto, D., Grissom, R., & Dinnel, D. L. (2001). Do between-culture differences really mean that people are different? A look at some alternative methods for analyzing data. Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology, 32, 478-490.
- Monier, S & Lewis A. (2000). School Counselors and Sexual Minority Students. Q: The Online Journal of the Association for Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual Issues in Counseling, 1. Retrieved June 5, 2001 from the World Wide Web: http://www.aglbic.org/Q/Vol1Num1/.
- Curtis, J., Benuska, M., & Dinnel, D. L. (1998-99). Korean Identity Development Society: A profile of Korean Culture Camp participants. Journal of the Korean American Historical Society, 4, 63-84.
- Segall, M. H., Lonner, W. J., & J. W. Berry (1998). Cross-cultural psychology as a scholarly discipline: On the flowering of culture in behavioral research. American Psychologist, 54(10), 1101-1110.
- Kleinknecht, R. A., Dinnel, D. L., Kleinknecht, E. E., Hiruma, N., & Harada, N. (1997). Cultural factors in social anxiety: A comparison of social phobia and Taijin Kyofusho. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 11, 157-177.
- Kleinknecht, R. A., Dinnel, D. L., Tanouye-Wilson, S., & Lonner, W. J. (1994). Cultural variation in social anxiety and phobia: A study of Taijin Kyofusho. The Behavioral Therapist, 17(8), 175-178.
- Trimble, J. E., & Fisher, C. (2006). Handbook of ethical considerations in conducting research with ethnocultural populations and communities. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Trimble, J. E., Stevenson, M. R., Worell, J. P., et al. (2004). Toward an inclusive psychology: Infusing the Introductory Psychology textbook with diversity content. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Pedersen, P., Draguns, J., Lonner, W., & Trimble, J. E. (Eds.). (2002). Counseling across cultures, 5th ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Lonner, W. J., Dinnel, D. L., Forgays, D. K., and Hayes, S. H. (Eds.) (1999). Merging past, present and future in cross-cultural psychology. Selected readings from the 14th International congress of the International Association of Cross-Cultural Psychology. Lisse, The Netherlands: Swets and Zeitlinger.
- Bernal, G., Trimble, J., Burlew, K., & Leong, F. (Eds.) (2002). Handbook of racial and ethnic minority psychology. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Trimble, J., & Beauvais, F. (Eds.). (2001). Health promotion and substance abuse prevention among American Indians and Alaska Natives: Issues in cultural competence. CSAP Cultural Competence Series 9. Special Collaborative Edition, United States Department of Health & Human Services, Substance Abuse & Mental Services Administration, Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, Office of Minority Health, Health Resources & Service Administration, Bureau of Primary Health. Rockville, MD.
- Sattler, D. N., & Shabatay, V. (2000). Psychology in context: Voices and perspectives, 2nd ed. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Co.
- Sattler, D. N., Kramer, G. P., Shabatay, V., & Bernstein, D. (2000). Lifespan development in context: Voices and perspectives. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Co.
Sattler, D. N., Kramer, G. P., & Shabatay, V., & Bernstein, D. (2000). Child development in context: Voices and perspectives. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Co.
- Mio, J., Trimble, J., Arredondo, P., Cheatham, H., & Sue, D. (Eds.) (1999). Keywords in multicultural interventions: A dictionary. Westport, CT: Greenwood.
- Sattler, D. N., Shabatay, V., & Kramer, G. P. (1998). Abnormal psychology in context: Voices and perspectives. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin Co.
- Berry, J. W. & Lonner, W. J. (Eds.) (1986). Field methods in cross-cultural research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Triandis, H. C. & Lonner, W. J. (Eds.) (1980). Handbook of cross-cultural psychology, Vol. 3, Basic Processes. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Winter, P. L., & Cvetkovich, G. T. (2007). Diversity in Southwesterners' views of Forest Service fire management. In B. Kent, C. Raish & W. Martin (Eds.), Wildfire and Fuels Management: Risk and Human Reaction. Washington, DC: RFF Press.
- Trimble, J. E. (2006). Enriching introductory psychology with race and ethnicity: Considerations for history of psychology, biopsychology, and intelligence measurement. In D. S. Dunn & S. L. Chew (Eds.), Best practices in teaching introductory psychology (pp. 93-109). Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Trimble, J. E. (2005). An inquiry into the measurement of racial and ethnic identity. In R. Carter (Ed.), Handbook of racial-cultural psychology and counseling: Theory and research (pp. 320-359), Volume One. New York: Wiley.
- Trimble, J. E., & LaDue, R. (2005). Law and social identity and its effects on American Indian and Alaska Native youth. In K. Barrett & B. George (Eds.), Race, culture, psychology, and the law (pp. 343-360). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Trimble, J. E., & Dickson, R. (2005). Ethnic identity. In C. B. Fisher & Lerner, R. M. (Eds.), Encyclopedia of applied developmental science (pp. 415-420) Volume I. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Trimble, J. E., & Dickson, R. (2005). Ethnic gloss. In C. B. Fisher & Lerner, R. M. Eds.), Encyclopedia of applied developmental science (pp. 412-415) Volume I. Thousand Oaks: Sage.
- Trimble, J. E., & Fisher, C. B. (2005). Our shared journey: Lessons from the past to the future. In J. E. Trimble & C. B. Fisher, (Eds.), Handbook of ethical considerations in conducting research with ethnocultural populations and communities (pp. xv-xxix). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Trimble, J. E., & Mohatt, G. V. (2005) Coda: Virtuous and responsible researcher in another culture In J. E. Trimble & C. B. Fisher, (Eds.), Handbook of ethical considerations in conducting research with ethnocultural populations and communities (pp. 325-334). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Trimble, J. E. (2003). Infusion of American Indian and Alaska Native topics in psychology. In P. Bronstein & K. Quina (Eds.), Teaching Gender and Multicultural Awareness: Resources for the Psychology Classroom (pp. 221-236). Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Trimble, J. E. (2003). Foreword. In D. Pope-Davis & H.L.K. Coleman, (Eds.), Handbook of multicultural competencies, 2nd edition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Trimble, J. E. (2003). Cultural competence and cultural sensitivity. In M. Prinstein & M. Patterson, (Eds.), The portable mentor: Expert guide to a successful career in psychology (pp. 13-32). NY: Kluwer Academic/Plenum.
- Hayes, S., & Lewis, A. C. (2002). School counselors: Professional Origins in cross-cultural counseling. In P. B. Pederson, J. G. Draguns, W. J. Lonner, & J. E. Trimble (Eds.), Counseling Across Cultures (5th ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Trimble, J., Helms, J. & Root, M. (2002). Social and psychological perspectives on ethnic and racial identity. In G. Bernal, J. Trimble, K. Burlew, & F. Leong (Eds.), Handbook on Racial and Ethnic Psychology. Thousands Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Trimble, J., & Mahoney, W. (2002). Gender and ethnic differences in adolescent self-esteem: A Rasch measurement model analysis. In P. E. Mail, S. Heurtin-Roberts, E. E. Martin, & J. Howard (Eds.), Alcohol Use Among American Indians: Multiple Perspectives on a Complex Problem. National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism Research Monograph No. 37. Bethesda, MD: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.
- Trimble, J. E. (2002). Introduction: Social change and acculturation. In K. Chun, P. B. Organista, & G. Marin (Eds.), Acculturation: Advances in theory, measurement, and applied research. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Trimble, J., & Thurman, P. (2002). Ethnocultural considerations and strategies for providing counseling services for Native American Indians. In P. Pedersen, J. Draguns, W. Lonner, & J. Trimble (Eds.), Counseling across cultures, 5th edition. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Trimble, J. E. (2000). American Indian psychology. In A. E. Kazdin (Ed.), Encyclopedia of psychology (pp. 139-144). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Trimble, J. E. (2000). Social psychological perspectives on changing self-identification among American Indians and Alaska Natives. In R. H. Dana (Ed.), Handbook of Cross-Cultural/Multicultural Personality Assessment (pp. 197-222). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Adamopoulos, J. & Lonner, W. J. (2001). History of cross-cultural psychology and theoretical criticism. In D. M. Matsumoto (Ed.) Handbook of culture and psychology. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Lonner, W. J., & Adamopoulos, J. (1997). Culture as antecedent to behavior. In J. W. Berry, Y. H. Poortinga, & J. Pandey (Eds), Handbook of cross-cultural psychology, 2nd Ed. Vol. 1, Theory and method. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Trimble, J. E. (1997). Bridging spiritual sojourns and social science research in native communities. In M. Bond, (Ed.), Working at the interface of cultures: 18 lives in social science. London: Routledge.
- Lewis, A., & Hayes, S. (1995). Accountability in a culturally pluralistic school setting. In C. C. Lee (Ed.), Counseling for Diversity in America's Schools. Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Trimble, J. E. (1995) Ethnic minorities. In R. Coombs & D. Ziedonis (Eds.), Handbook on drug abuse prevention: A comprehensive strategy to prevent the abuse of alcohol and other drugs (pp. 379-410). Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon.
- Trimble, J .E. (1995). Toward an understanding of ethnicity and ethnic identification and their relationship with drug use research. In G. Botvin, S. Schinke, & M. Orlandi (Eds.), Drug abuse prevention with multi-ethnic youth (pp. 3-27). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology
The main publication with which the Center is associated is the Journal of Cross-Cultural Psychology (JCCP). Inaugurated as a quarterly publication in 1970, since 1995 JCCP has been published bimonthly and is the only psychology journal in the world that is completely devoted to cross-cultural psychology. JCCP is the main outlet for ongoing cross-cultural research, and currently has subscribers in more than 75 countries. With an Editorial Advisory Board of experts from 25 countries, JCCP is copyrighted by Western Washington University and is published for the Center by Sage Publications. Since 1972, it has been an official publication of the International Association for Cross-Cultural Psychology. Walter J. Lonner, Ph.D., the Founding and Senior Editor of the Journal, is an associate of the Center. Additional information about the scope, policies, and historical background of JCCP can be found on this website. Other publications of the Center and its associates include a variety of manuscripts, monographs, and working papers, the titles of which are too numerous to mention here.