2012 Faculty Fellows
- Kathleen Saunders, Anthropology
- Kristina Luce, Art History
- Helen Morgan Parmett, Communication
- Tara Perry, Communication
- Michael Fraas, CSD
- Heidi Aijala, English
- LeAnne Laux-Bachand, English
- Kelly Magee, English
- Barbara Rofkar, International Studies
- Michael Lorenzen, Library
- Amy Anderson, Math
- Michelle Saint, Philosophy
- Linda Keeler, PEHR
- Michelle Mielke, PEHR
- Monica Burke, Psychology
- Todd Haskell, Psychology
- Sean Dwyer, Spanish
- Diane Penland, Teacher Education
Want to learn more?
If you would like to learn more about the CSL Faculty Fellows Program, please contact April McMurry at April.McMurry@wwu.edu
or call 360.650.7520.
Western’s Center for Service-Learning (CSL) and Writing Instruction Support (WIS) invite you to attend Backwards by Design: A Working Retreat for Faculty Teaching with Service Learning and/or Writing. We are seeking faculty interested in integrating service-learning and/or writing instruction into their courses. Selected faculty will work with WIS director Carmen Werder, CSL director Tim Costello, and staff to explore service-learning and writing theory as well as effective instructional practices and assessment strategies.
Our theme, Backwards by Design, reflects the belief that “teaching is a means to an end. Having a clear goal helps us as educators focus our planning and guide purposeful action…” (Wiggins and McTighe). We envision where we want to end up and work backwards on how to get there.
- Create or transform a course through the integration of a service-learning and/or writing component;
- Gain best practices for teaching and learning;
- Form partnerships and supportive teaching and learning networks;
- Apply the “Backwards by Design” model to course planning;
- Reflect, relax, and recharge! through this interactive retreat, which will include dialogue, presentations, demonstrations, reflection, and time to work on your own course materials.
- Attend a 3-day working retreat at Western’s Shannon Point Marine Center in Anacortes from
Tuesday, August 27th through Thursday,
- For additional $500 stipend: submit a brief survey within one week of the retreat and a two-page write-up tracking results of the retreat on student learning within the 2013-2014 academic year.