Emergency Preparedness and Safety Planning
Western Washington University encourages all students to prepare for emergencies by taking simple actions to plan for safety. Students with disabilities are encouraged to view the Emergency Evacuation Guidelines for Persons with Disabilities (located in Section 2 of the Safety Information Book), gain familiarity with University safety planning resources, and view the Western Emergency Preparedness Video (captions are available for the video if you click the CC button).
Inclement Weather Procedure
Winter weather systems occasionally lead to unsafe conditions on and around campus, particularly for persons with disabilities that impact mobility. Please check the Western Washington University homepage for alerts on university closures during winter storms. disAbility Resources for Students will send out an email to students when conditions on the pathways of campus are icy or otherwise potentially unsafe. WTA buses typically run on pre-designated snow routes during winter storms. Main pathways are cleared and maintained through campus according to this plan.
If you have questions or concerns about missing class due to unsafe weather conditions on campus, please call the disAbility Resources for Students main line at (360) 650-3083.
Personal Safety Planning
You will have classes in different buildings every quarter. You will find yourself in many places on campus outside of class meetings, as well as many places within the greater Bellingham community.
- Take the time to familiarize yourself with Emergency Exits and evacuation procedures for the buildings you have classes in each quarter.
- Participate in fire drills in your residence hall and ask your Resident Advisor if you have questions about how to evacuate in case of an emergency.
- Develop a buddy system when you are going out, particularly at night. Carry your cell phone and pay attention to your surroundings.
- Explore free wellness and health resources through WWU Prevention and Wellness.
- If you have questions about safety-planning or emergency preparedness, please ask your Accommodation Counselor and we will assist you and/or refer you accordingly.