Veterans Services: Chapter 33 Transfer of Benefits Instructions
The service member who wishes to transfer benefits needs to apply and be approved by the Department of Defense.
- The TEB (Transfer of Education Benefits) page explains how to transfer benefits to your eligible dependents. You must go there to start the transfer process.
- Once you have completed the transfer request, you will need to track the status of your request by returning to the TEB page. Once your request is listed as "Request Approved", your information is sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA).
- Upon approval, your dependent will need to apply for the GI Bill by submitting VA form 22-1990e on VONAPP. This needs to be done for each dependent just prior to entering college.
- Your dependent will receive a Letter of Eligibility (LOE) stating they are approved to use Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) benefits. To receive benefits, your dependent must send a copy of the LOE to the WWU Veterans Services office by E-mail or fax 360-650-2157.
How Are Payments Received?(Click an option below to view payment detail for specific items.)
Book Money - Within a few days after the VA receives WWU’s quarterly certification, a payment is sent directly to the bank account listed on your application. This amount is calculated at 41.67 per credit. Students normally take 12 to 15 credits per quarter. The first payment will be between 500.00 and 625.00. Students attending Western are traditionally out of book money during their second quarter.
Tuition and Fees are paid directly to Western. If your student has supplied the VSO with a Letter of Eligibility and has contacted our office requesting certification after registration WWU will waive all late fees if payments are not received from the VA by the due date. If your student has not requested certification in a timely manner, or supplied our office with a Letter of Eligibility they will be responsible for all late fees and interest.
Monthly housing allowance is based on the zip code of the school your student is attending. For Western the amount is $1,368.00 per month. You student will only be paid for the days they are in school. Please note the payment calendar for the 2012/2013 academic year.
If your student resides in the dorms the cost of the dorm and meal card must be paid on the first day of the term. Interest and late fees will be added to their account the third Friday of the quarter, these fees will be your students responsibility.
For more information, please click the links below:
- Veteran Parents Orientation
- Veteran Monthly Payment Calendar
- If your student has received Federal VA Benefits at another institution it will be necessary for them to provide a Change of Program or Place of Training.