Accommodations in Online Courses
Our assurance for equal access to learning for students with disabilities extends to the online environment. Accommodations granted for academic coursework, such as extended test time, apply to online environments. Students with disabilities are entitled to the same educational opportunity as other students in the course. There are several resources that may assist faculty with their instructional design of online environments to promote access for all students, including qualified students with disabilities. This list is intended to provide a few basic resources. For more information, contact disAbility Resources for Students and/or Academic Technology and User Services:
- Step-by-step guide for extending time on a Canvas-based quiz or exam for individual students enrolled in a course.
- Step-by-step instructions on making multiple document types (including math, science, Powerpoints, and PDFs) accessible from Portland Community College.
- Universal Design in My Online Course tutorial from University of Northern Colorado.
- World Wide Access: Accessible Web Design from the University of Washington Do-It Center.
- Promoting Academic Integrity in the Online Classroom from Faculty Focus.