Health Information

The U.S. Healthcare System

As you may be aware, the U.S. healthcare system can be expensive and difficult to navigate. The video below teaches students how to prepare for their arrival in the U.S., how the U.S. healthcare system works and how students should seek medical care appropriately if they become sick or injured.

Please visit for more information.

MMR Immunity and TB Testing

Western requires that all students provide evidence of Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) immunity before being allowed to register for classes. Please read the requirements and information about this on the Student Health Center website.  You will need to complete the Medical Form and send all vaccination documentation in English to:

Western Washington University
Intensive English Program, MS 9102
516 High Street
Bellingham, WA 98225

Or you may also fax copies of your documentation to +1 (360) 650-6818.

If you cannot provide documentation of your MMR immunity, you will be required to have this immunization at the Student Health Center upon arrival.  Most new students must also have a tuberculosis (TB) screening done at the Student Health Center within the first week of classes at Western. There is a $20 charge for each MMR immunization and a $15 charge for the TB skin test.

Health Insurance

Part of your mandatory fees at Western will pay for use of the Student Health Center on Western’s campus, but emergency health care and off-campus doctor or hospital visits are not covered with this fee.  All international students who study at Western Washington University will be required to enroll in the WWU LewerMark insurance plan. All international students will be automatically enrolled in the student insurance each quarter of attendance.

The cost of medical insurance is $285 per quarter and will be billed on the student’s account.  All payments for tuition, housing, medical insurance and other fees are due on the third Friday of each quarter.  Payments made after this day will accrue late charges.  Payments can be made on-campus in the Student Business Office in Old Main 110 upon arrival.

Students should not purchase alternative medical insurance or have insurance from their home countries.  In order to be considered exempt from enrolling in the WWU LewerMark insurance policy, students must show proof of adequate insurance coverage with an English language copy of the insurance policy and meet one of the following criteria:

1. Be sponsored by a government agency or embassy;
2. Be a U.S. citizen;
3. Be covered by a spouse or immediate family member who works in the U.S. and has medical insurance.

Students have until the third Friday of each quarter to submit proof that they meet one of the exceptions listed above to be considered exempt from the WWU LewerMark insurance plan. 

If you do not meet one of the requirements listed above, WWU requires that you purchase medical insurance provided by the LewerMark Student Insurance.  Please see the LewerMark website for more information about what the insurance covers. 

Students who are covered through LewerMark will have medical insurance 30 days before the program begins; this includes new students who are arriving to the United States from their home countries.

Students who wish to take a vacation quarter anytime during the year will still be enrolled and billed for the student medical insurance.  This is to ensure coverage in the event there is an accident or injury during travel or school breaks.  Questions regarding vacation quarter eligibility or general questions about this requirement should be directed to the IEP office.

Medical Care

While going directly to the hospital may be the practice in some places, hospital visits in the U.S. can be very costly and may require a long wait.  Only go to the Emergency Room (ER) in the case of a very serious emergency, as outlined here.  For life-threatening emergencies, call 911 for an ambulance.

Students have access to the following on-campus resources while attending the IEP.

Page Updated 06.25.2015