Housing Guide

There are two housing options for IEP students, on-campus housing and off-campus housing. Below you will find a description of each type. Please read this information carefully to choose the best housing option for you.

On-Campus Housing

Please note: You must have your F-1 student visa before you apply for on campus housing.
If you are a transfer student or do not need an F-1 student visa, you can apply for on campus housing now. On campus housing fills up quickly and is not always available.

General Information
There are two bedrooms in each apartment. Students living in on-campus apartments will share a room with a roommate. There are a total of four students living in each unit. Laundry facilities are located near each apartment building. International students generally live in Buchanan Towers, a residence hall which has been designated an international community.

Dormitory Style

Each Dormitory suite houses four students. There are two bedrooms. The suite includes bedrooms, a bathroom, living area and a kitchenette with refrigerator, sink and stove. A large lounge area with a pool table is located on the ground level, as well as a TV lounge and piano lounge. A market is located next to the main lounge and provides convenience items for sale. These suites are open for full year occupancy. A meal plan is included with the dormitory cost.

Apartment Style:

Each on-campus apartment houses four students. There are two bedrooms with a living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom and balcony. A community building houses an information desk, lounge with TV and laundry room. All utilities are included (except telephone). Bus transportation to the Western campus is nearby. Apartments are available for full-year occupancy.

Note: On-campus housing fills up quickly and is not always available.

On campus apartments and residence halls are located on or near Western's campus. They are located near a bus stop, so getting to classes is easy!

How to Apply
Complete the Housing Application (included in the IEP acceptance packet) and return it to the IEP office.

Application Deadlines
Fall - July 15
Winter - November 15
Spring - February 15
Summer - May 1

Price of On Campus Housing


On-Campus Apartment-meal plan not included

On-Campus Dormitory with 100 Meal Plans










Linen Pack



Housing Deposit



Off-Campus Housing

There are many private apartments near campus. It is the responsibility of the student to find an apartment and often, students must have a co-signer living in the U.S. or be able to pay a larger deposit. In addition, most students must be willing to rent the apartment for 12 months or risk losing their deposit. There are many different types of apartments and homes for rent. A studio has a kitchen, living area and sleeping area in one room, these apartments are usually the cheapest. One bedroom and two bedrooms have one or two bedrooms separate from the kitchen and living area. A duplex is a house attached to another house. The two homes share the yard. Most apartments or houses are not furnished.

Apartments are located all around Bellingham, Washington. There are many apartments or homes for rent near Western. Most are near a bus stop, so getting to classes is easy!

How to Apply
Contact a property management company. Each management company has different applications and rules.

A one bedroom is available in the price range of $550-800 per month. Sharing an apartment with a roommate may be less expensive. Rent is generally due on the first day of each month and is paid directly to the property manager.

Property Management Companies