Web Design & Development
There is no required textbook for this class. The following textbook may serve as a helpful resource, should you like to obtain one.
- Learning Web Design, 4th Edition (J. Niederst Robbins, ISBN-13: 978-1449319274) – estimated cost on Amazon: about $30.00 (Click here for a quick link to the text on Amazon)
Software necessary at home
The following are free, open-source software that can be downloaded at home to allow you to continue your work outside of the classroom on your personal computer. Please also note that many computer labs at Western are open 24-hours, allowing you to work on projects on campus anytime, should you desire.
- Text Editor – “Notepad++” (PC) – OR – “TextWrangler” (for MAC)
- FTP Client – “WinSCP” (in WWU lab) – OR – “FileZilla” (for MAC or PC)
- Image Editor – “Adobe Fireworks” (similar to Adobe Photoshop in WWU lab) – OR – “GIMP” (for MAC or PC)
Web hosting account
- All students are required to purchase their own web hosting account and domain name for the duration of the course. Price: $36.00.
- A preferred web hosting provider has been identified that combines all of the required features at an affordable price. For more information, please see: http://webscript2wp.com/hosting/
- Students must purchase their web hosting account prior to the first day of class.
- Students who already have a web hosting account with a different provider may use that account as long as it meets the minimum requirements. Students must have full administrative access to their web hosting account.