Chemical Safety in Laboratories
The Laboratory Standard (Occupational Exposure to Hazardous Chemicals in Laboratories) is found in the Washington Administrative Code, Part 296-62-400.
This regulation is designed to protect laboratory employees from over-exposure to chemicals. It requires the employer to:
- Monitor laboratories for indications of over-exposure.
- Provide medical consultation and examination for workers who may have been over-exposed.
- Develop a written Chemical Hygiene Plan and appoint a chemical hygiene officer.
- Designate specific laboratory areas for work with carcinogens, mutagens, teratogens or highly toxic substances.
- Provide training programs.
- Ensure that labels on chemicals are maintained.
- Ensure that Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDSs) are readily accessible.