Hazard Communication Standard
Hazard Communication Standard – Non-Laboratory Use of Chemicals
Use of chemicals in non-laboratory settings is regulated by the State of Washington’s Department of Labor and Industries. The regulations are found in the Washington Administrative Code, Part 296-62-054. They are also called a right-to-know regulation because the focus is providing information about chemicals for employees.
In the regulations, employers must:
- Identify and advise employees of chemical hazards in the workplace.
- Maintain proper chemical labeling.
- Have an MSDS readily accessible to employees at work for each hazardous chemical.
- Establish a training program.
- Have a written program for implementing the regulations.
- Information about the hazard communication program may be found in the departmental Safety Information Book.
For further information, contact the Environmental Health and Safety office