Fire Prevention

Fires can be prevented from starting if you take some simple precautions. Take responsibility for prevention:

  • Do NOT overload electrical outlets.
  • Use a heavy-duty power strip plugged directly into an outlet
  • Assign a non-impaired ‘event monitor.’
  • Clean up immediately after parties and take all trash outside.
  • Keep space heaters and halogen lamps away from flammables.
  • Halogen lamps can reach over 900 F. Paper burns at 451 F.
  • Put out candles and incense when unattended. Candles are not permitted in residence halls.
  • Extinguish all smoking materials thoroughly.
  • Don’t smoke while tired or impaired.
  • Recognize that holiday decorations have started fatal fires (Bellingham Fire Department requires permits for resin-bearing trees and greenery in public buildings.)
  • Keep barbecue grills away from buildings and combustibles.
  • Keep fireplace screens or doors in place when in use.
  • Store combustibles away from fireplaces and barbecue grills.
Page Updated 11.22.2017