Fires can be prevented from starting if you take some simple precautions. Take responsibility for prevention:
- Do NOT overload electrical outlets.
- Use a heavy-duty power strip plugged directly into an outlet
- Assign a non-impaired ‘event monitor.’
- Clean up immediately after parties and take all trash outside.
- Keep space heaters and halogen lamps away from flammables.
- Halogen lamps can reach over 900 F. Paper burns at 451 F.
- Put out candles and incense when unattended. Candles are not permitted in residence halls.
- Extinguish all smoking materials thoroughly.
- Don’t smoke while tired or impaired.
- Recognize that holiday decorations have started fatal fires (Bellingham Fire Department requires permits for resin-bearing trees and greenery in public buildings.)
- Keep barbecue grills away from buildings and combustibles.
- Keep fireplace screens or doors in place when in use.
- Store combustibles away from fireplaces and barbecue grills.