You can protect yourself from becoming trapped in a fire situation. Follow these important suggestions:
Check Smoke Alarms
- Be sure they are present and in proper working condition
- In Residence Halls, smoke alarms connect to the electrical system and don’t need batteries
- In off-campus housing, install new batteries at the beginning of each quarter
Plan Escape Routes
- Know where all exits are located in your building
- Know 2 exits from anywhere you sleep
- Practice your escape plan
Take Fire Alarms Seriously
- NEVER ignore fire alarms
- NEVER wait to see fire or smoke
- Do NOT worry about grabbing your stuff
Tampering with smoke alarms, pulling false alarms or mis-using fire protection equipment is a criminal offense.
These are dangerous pranks.
Report them immediately.