General Information

Workers’ Compensation insurance coverage for on the job injuries or illnesses is purchased by Western Washington University from the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries (L&I).The Environmental Health and Safety Department (EHS) is responsible for administering the University’s industrial insurance benefits and programs in accordance with the Revised Code of Washington (RCW), the Washington Administrative Code (WAC), and University Policy.

Full benefit coverage is provided for all paid faculty, staff, and student employees who are injured or develop an industrially related illness while acting within the course and scope of their duties. Coverage begins automatically on the first day of employment. Each employee contributes a part of the medical aid portion of the coverage premium through payroll deduction.

Special Coverage Issues

Volunteers- Volunteers who are registered with Human Resources are provided partial L&I benefit coverage during the course of their work for the University. This coverage provides for medical treatment only and not for disability or other benefits. For additional information on volunteer status and required forms see the Volunteer Policies and Procedures section of the Human Resources website or call them at (360) 650-3774.

Travel in State

When required to travel away from the normal workplace on work-related business an employee is generally considered to be in the course of employment continuously for the duration of the trip. An exception would be a side trip for personal reasons.

Out of State or Country

L&I provides coverage for work-related injury or illness while traveling outside of Washington State. If you need treatment for such an injury or illness be sure to tell the health care provider your concern is work related. Please note- This may be difficult as providers in other states or countries may not recognize L&I coverage. For information on how to handle the situation refer to the Out-of-State or Out-of-Country reference page. For the University policy on travel outside the United States click here. For additional information on health care coverage issues and travel please click here.

Page Updated 11.22.2017