Fall 2014 Newsletter
Guide Aims to Aid Equity and Inclusion in Hiring
In June, the Equal Opportunity Office released Equity and Inclusion in Hiring: Best Practices for Faculty and Professional Staff Searches, intended for use by hiring authorities and search committees.
Western is philosophically committed and legally obligated to conducting searches as equitably as possible, and to building excellent and diverse applicant pools for our open positions. The guide offers best practices to ensure that Western’s searches are fair and equitable and create the best possible opportunity to attract diverse applicants. Much of the guidance is also relevant to conducting searches for classified staff. Topics covered in the guide include:
- Composing the search committee
- Considerations when writing the position announcement
- Ways to build a diverse applicant pool: networking, advertising and relationship building
- Unconscious biases in evaluation of candidates
- Checking references
- Proactively sharing diversity-related information about Western with candidates
The full guide may be viewed and downloaded here.