Spring 2015 Newsletter
Equal Opportunity Trainings Offered
The EO Office provides training and facilitated conversation on a wide variety of topics concerning equal opportunity, affirmative action, and diversity and inclusion. Training topics include:
- Title IX: Preventing & Responding to Sex Discrimination, Including Sexual Violence
- Hiring Veterans: Translating Military Experience into the Higher Education Context
- Fostering Equity and Inclusion: Requirements and Best Practices
- Preventing and Responding to Racial and National Origin Harassment: Rights and Responsibilities
- Providing Reasonable Accommodations in Classes and Programs: Americans with Disabilities Act and Rehabilitation Act Compliance
- Religious Diversity in the Workplace: Requirements and Best Practices
- Addressing Bullying and Harassment Based on Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity and Expression
- Identifying, Understanding and Intervening in Microaggressions
Additional trainings and facilitated dialogues about equal opportunity issues can be developed to address the needs of particular departments. Please contact Laura Langley, Manager of Equal Opportunity Programs, to discuss training possibilities.
Sexual Harassment Prevention Training Update
State and Federal law and University policy require all new employees to attend Sexual Harassment Prevention Training (SHPT), and current employees to take online Refresher Training every three years. These trainings include discussion of Western’s responsibility under Title IX to prevent and respond to sexual harassment and sexual violence.
New faculty and staff should register for a SHPT session by going here and then selecting “Equal Opportunity Office.” Upcoming trainings will be held on the following dates in VU 567:
- Thursday, July 16, 2015, 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.