BACK TO MINUTES
BACK TO CUE
BACK TO SENATE

 

 

 

Committee on Undergraduate Education Meeting Minutes 

 

Date:

5/27/10

Time:

4:00 pm – 5:30 pm

Room:

HH 232

Attendees:

Listed below

Approval: CUE 9/30/10

 

Called to order by Kathleen Kennedy at 4:03 pm.

 

I.            Approval of the minutes

·         Minutes from 5/6/10 meeting approved.

 

II.            Chair announcements

·         Bill Lyne has offered to attend another CUE meeting to follow up on discussion of curricular proposal.  CUE would like to meet with Lyne in fall.

 

III.            Curricular proposals:

Course

GUR Category

Requested action

CUE Action

MGMT 201

QSR + MATH 107 or 112

New GUR course

Approved as QSR; course must be taken with MATH 107 or 112. Forwarded to ACC.

ANTH 201

SSC

Description change

Approved and forward to ACC.

 

Discussion of MGMT 201: 

Kennedy reported that a standalone QSR course is a class that has MATH 112 content in it. They typically include calculation/creation of a model along with the application of the model.   In Computer Science QSR courses students actually write and apply a program (not just running software). Kennedy distributed syllabi of currently existed standalone courses.  Kennedy will contact Matthew Liao-Troth and confirm that Management is agreeable to the change in QSR option.

 

Discussion of ANTH 201:

CUE encourages Anthropology department to pare down GUR competencies (all marked on form).

 

IV.            Future agenda planning

1.       Pilot of assessment plan and recruitment of faculty participants over summer

a.       Schedule a meeting for faculty who are piloting course rubrics

                                                                           i.      Create some exemplars to go with the rubrics           

2.       Discuss creative ways to rethink the GUR (and incorporate writing into that brainstorming)

a.       Talk about report/time line

b.      Ways to cluster and create more interdisciplinary GURs (such as creating suggested strands or clusters) 

3.       Determine if CUE wants to hold a workshop in September

4.       First Year Programs

a.       Discussion of the FIG Program and SMNR 101

                                                                        i.      Sylvia Tag would like to share the Library’s plan to include a information literacy component within the FIG Seminar

                                                                       ii.      Assessment of FIG program

                                                                     iii.      If SMNR 101 is not a GUR, how does it fit within the CUE charge?

b.      FYE courses

c.       Viking Launch program

5. Committee Charge

a.       Review CUE charge and put it on CUE Blackboard site; some edits need to be made regarding the references to OIART and University Writing Program.

b.      Carmen Werder expressed interest in further defining how CUE will oversee writing the proficiency credit /exploring  what role writing will have with this committee.  

 

V.            Accreditation Response Report Draft (VPUE)

Edits to text:

·         Chair elected at the first meeting in fall.

·         History of Committee restructuring – Writing Proficiency (WP) Requirement had not been represented.

·         Clarify section on CLA exam (who reviewed exam selection – GER and WAG)

·         Fall 2010

·         Decide whether our competencies can be assessed by the CLA.

·         Should do a presentation to ACC.

·         Identify creative ways to restructure in GUR in fall, based on assessment and available data that speaks to access issues.

·         Would like to include General Education information at Summerstart – could suggest that the competencies be included in the informational packets.    

·         Working with faculty to improve reinforcement of GUR competencies across the curriculum.

·         Let assessment coordinators know are going to be called to a common meeting at the beginning of fall.

CUE would like VanderStaay to bring back a revised document to future meeting.  Meanwhile, any other comments should be emailed to Kennedy. 

VI.            Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 5: 31pm.

 

Minutes submitted by Wendy Knight.

 

Present

Name

Role

Area

Voting

--

Borda, Emily

Faculty

CST

Voting

P

Grimm, Jeffrey

Faculty

CHSS (2)

Voting

P

Kennedy, Kathleen

Faculty

CHSS (1)

Voting

--

Miller, Matthew

Faculty

Woodring

Voting

--

Rinonos-Diaz, Ramon

Student

Appointed by AS

Voting

P

Rossiter, David

Faculty

Huxley

Voting

P

Tag, Sylvia

Faculty

Western Libraries

Voting

--

Takagi, Midori

Faculty

Fairhaven

Voting

P

Thorndike-Christ, Tracy

Faculty

ACC representative

Voting

--

VanderStaay, Steven

Ex Officio

VP Undergrad Education

Voting

P

Vassdal-Ellis, Elsi

Faculty

CFPA

Voting

P

Werder, Carmen

Ex Officio

Director Writing Instruction

Voting

P

Wonder, Nicholas

Faculty

CBE

Voting

P

Knight, Wendy

Recorder

Admin Asst to VPUE

Non-Voting

P

Luke, Linda

Guest

Registrar’s Office