BACK TO MINUTES
BACK TO CUE
BACK TO SENATE

 

 

 

Committee on Undergraduate Education Meeting Minutes 

 

Date:

5/6/10

Time:

4:00 pm – 5:30 pm

Room:

WL 268

Attendees:

Listed below

Approval: CUE 5/27/10

 

Called to order by Kathleen Kennedy at 4:00 pm.

 

I.            Approval of the minutes

·         Minutes from 4/22/10 meeting approved.

 

II.            Chair announcements

·         Kennedy thanked Matt Miller for serving as temporary chair at the last two meetings.

·         Bill Lyne would like to continue his discussion with committee.  CUE to discuss at a later date.

·         Due to various conflicts, CUE members decided to postpone the regularly scheduled 5/20/10 meeting until 5/27/10.

 

III.            Curricular proposal:

Course

GUR Category

Requested action

Reason/note

CUE Action

MGMT 201

QSR stand alone

New GUR course

CUE chair will seek clarification regarding QSR options.

HELD

 

Discussion of MGMT 201: 

Matthew Liao-Troth provided an overview of the MGMT 201 courses.  CBE seeks to offer more GURs and, in particular, to offer another QSR option to students.  Course uses a computer-based simulation.  Use of the simulation provides immediate feedback to the student on his/her work and allows the course to be scalable.  This course requires student to process data and make an analysis; there is not as much calculation. 

Liao-Troth and committee recognized that there doesn’t seem to be a great understanding of the differences between the four options of the QSR category.  The Management Department would be satisfied if the course was approved as a QSR Option 1 or 2, but would like to seek QSR Option 4 if it is possible.     

CUE would like to have a greater understanding of how the options are delineated.  Kennedy will contact the Math Chair, Chair of Computer Science, and the former Chair of the General Education Task Force to solicit their understanding of the QSR category and ask them to send CUE a statement.  Kennedy will get back in touch with Liao-Troth after findings and Kennedy will get a memo out to CUE committee prior to the next meeting.   CUE would like to make a decision on the course at the 5/27/10 meeting.

 CUE also agreed that since Emily Borda and Matt Miller will be unable to attend the next meeting due to family leave that proxy votes would be acceptable.   Kennedy thanked Liao-Troth for his patience with this course approval process.

 

IV.            Assessment and Accreditation Planning

·         Kennedy suggested each CUE member meet with his/her college chairs (such as at DAC meeting) to talk about what CUE has accomplished this year and what is planned for early next year in CUE.

·         CUE would like to encourage faculty to talk more about the Gen Ed program and the value of the GURs with their students (and colleagues).  CUE would like to distribute information about the value of the liberal arts/value of Gen Ed/GURs in fall GUR classes. It would be nice to have an informational campaign about the GUR competencies.

·         CUE would like to ask faculty to have syllabi include information as a competencies, but not specify how that has to be done. Would like this to be an invitation to faculty from fellow faculty and emphasize that it will help get students invested in their courses.  Goes hand in hand with piloting the rubrics. Invitation would need to emphasize that the rubrics are intended to help in the assessment of courses and not individual students.

·         Create a steering document for faculty using rubrics.

·         Communicate value of the GUR and pilot the GUR Rubrics in fall and winter.

·         Steve VanderStaay will write a rough draft of the GUR improvement plan. 

·         Matt Miller will write a rough draft of the Rubric Pilot plan.  Use of the pilot rubrics would be welcome in any course (not just GURs).

·         What about an email to GUR faculty inviting to participate in rubric?  Kennedy will work on text to send to faculty inviting them to participate in Rubrics Pilot. 

 

V.            Future agenda items

·         Decision on MGMT 201 course

·         Review Rubrics

·         Review the drafts of the Rubrics Pilot Plan and the GUR Improvement Plan

·         Review Second Year Survey (what was the final format?)

·         CUE Structure for 10-11; chair election; committee election cycle; calendar

 

VI.            Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 5: 34pm.

 

Minutes submitted by Wendy Knight.

 

Present

Name

Role

Area

Voting

P

Borda, Emily

Faculty

CST

Voting

P

Grimm, Jeffrey

Faculty

CHSS (2)

Voting

P

Kennedy, Kathleen

Faculty

CHSS (1)

Voting

P

Miller, Matthew

Faculty

Woodring

Voting

--

Rinonos-Diaz, Ramon

Student

Appointed by AS

Voting

--

Rossiter, David

Faculty

Huxley

Voting

P

Tag, Sylvia

Faculty

Western Libraries

Voting

P

Takagi, Midori

Faculty

Fairhaven

Voting

        --

Thorndike-Christ, Tracy

Faculty

ACC representative

Voting

P

VanderStaay, Steven

Ex Officio

VP Undergrad Education

Voting

P

Vassdal-Ellis, Elsi

Faculty

CFPA

Voting

P

Werder, Carmen

Ex Officio

Director Writing Instruction

Voting

P

Wonder, Nicholas

Faculty

CBE

Voting

P

Knight, Wendy

Recorder

Admin Asst to VPUE

Non-Voting

P

Luke, Linda

Guest

Registrar’s Office

 

P

Liao-Troth, Matthew

Guest

CBE