BACK TO MINUTES
BACK TO CUE
BACK TO SENATE

 

Committee on Undergraduate Education

                Meeting Minutes

 

Date:

9/29/11 Approved

Time:

4:00 pm – 5:30 pm

Room:

OM 340

 

CUE called to order at 4:02 pm by Matt Miller and Carmen Werder

CUE minutes of 6/6/11 approved as written.

 

Agenda

Carmen Werder, Co-Chair reviewed the six areas of GUR needs and accomplishments, and highlighted how the focus is on the Communication Campaign.  The next focus will be needs three -- coherence and relevancy in the GURs.  Miller described what was meant by bottleneck GURs.

 

MOTIONS: 

1)      Matthew Miller, Co-Chair explained the E-form for Revision/Cancellation of a GUR, which was reviewed and accepted at the Retreat dependent on. several small changes including removing “Domestic” and “Global,” removing the word “writing” from Comm category, and inserting “Committee on Undergraduate Education” in the footer. A MOTION was made by Emily Borda, Chris Friday seconded, to approve the GUR Revision or Cancellation E-form with the incorporated changes - passed.

 

2)      A MOTION was made by Julia Sapin, Sylvia Tag seconded, to formalize naming of John Purdie, Residence Life Assoc. Director, as a non-voting member of CUE -passed.

 

“Critical Dialogue on the Liberal Arts” Planning (Event 10-27-2011).

Miller opened discussion with planning ideas for this event on Thursday, 27th of October.  This will be 4-5:30 pm during regular CUE meeting time and will take place in the Learning Commons in Wilson Library 270.. 

Miller suggested that further planning was needed in the following areas and asked for volunteers:

Goal:  Miller asked if there is an articulated a goal for this event.

Outcome statement:  What is the outcome of this discussion?  We need to be able to clearly articulate our role as a liberal arts institution.What does everybody think is a liberal arts education, and how do these views compare with ideas embedded in the literature?

Second Session:   will depend on what happens the first time. We need to know where we would like to end up and then figure out pathways to that place. We want to move toward a reasonable product at the end of that dialogue session.

Concerns:  Renaming the GURs might be a concern.  Constituents, student reps, leadership reps, will all come to the table with different concerns.

First handout:  A first step as an outcome ought to be an articulation of a shared statementa draft statement. 

We might want to locate the discrepancies between what our institutional documents now say and a comparable article that is more visionary.  .

Lots of people came here because of liberal arts, but what do we mean by the term?

Faculty searches:  If we are really dedicated to liberal arts, faculty searches can focus on identifying engaged faculty for their departments.

Invitees: Whom would we like to invite?  We need to craft a draft invitation and a process for determining and disseminating ideas from core readings.  

Liberal Arts Mission (Chris Friday):

Ø  What is the purpose and what are the goals of a liberal education?

Ø  How can our GUR program achieve this?

Ø  What are our current strengths?

Ø  What would you like to see done in the future?  How?

“Western continues to describe itself as a liberal arts education and will continue to do so.  However continued evaluation and reevaluation is important for you and the public, and so we are hosting….  (Friday’s draft invitation).  We want to hear from you what you think is working….”

 

Format:  Begin with no more than a 20 minute presentation to the large group:  history of liberal education, with questions to frame the discussion, with reference to one or more of the readings that struck you as particularly key, then after guiding questions, break-out dialogue groups, and then a discussion a mechanism to come back together.

Volunteers willing to move these aspects forward?

Crafting invitation:  Chris Friday

Crafting process,:  Matt, Emily and Steve V.

Identifying participants:   Ask members and chairs of curricular committees and ask Deans and Chairs to send people from departments, especially with heavy concentrations in GURs --a broad representation across campus.  

Steve VanderStaay will help to send the GUR faculty and will work with CUE to get the right people listed and notified.  

Approach Dan Larner officially and ask if he is willing to give a little introduction to liberal arts?

Have a sheet that people fill out and hand in:  What do you think are the strengths of the GURs? Hand as they come in and they must hand in as they leave:  Their take on what they think happened.  Can we pay somebody for data entry?

Possible students who work for provost office. 

 

Second Event:  Viking Landing -- November 9th

Werder presented an update for this event and noted that Tina Loudon had put the date and event on the academic advising calendar.  Working title:  Viking Landing: Making the Most of Your  GURs.  Its purpose is to provide pathways for students to meet with departmental faculty, academic advisers, and upper-level students to think about what a liberal arts and sciences education means for them as well as to explore future GURs on their horizon.

Location: Learning Commons, Wilson Library 2 west (Werder has scheduled the location)

Areas of Interest: To be decided – could be both academic areas identified by Loudon and Brunner and GUR categories as urgued by Arizuvu.

David Brunnemer spoke about ways to guide students from pre-application through orientation through interest groupings until they declare.  Emily Borda explained how emphasis on academic interest areas was frequently confused with the need to decide a major. 

 

Various ideas about how the event should be stationed were discussed:  circle discussions vs. separate stations with an advisor, using “docents” or student leaders from Summer Start to seat students at a discussion. Members seemed to like a “museum” metaphor vs. “discussion” metaphor to ensure there are lots of options and that the function is lively. 

Big posters on each table can indicate areas or categories, a video screen showing active success stories of students who took GURs that were a far cry from their major;  lots of artifacts that GUR faculty can bring and share, including syllabi.  The idea was raised of having GUR faculty who are teaching courses winter quarter and can draw students to their course or area which would be different from the major area.  Other ideas:  have a board where students pin questions or responses to prompts or photos.  Give students opportunities to flip something, read something, write something, draw something, create, visually broadcast.  Provide moving conversations and mobility.  Provide artifacts available for perusal.

Sapin suggested asking the design departments to ask the students interested to create posters for this and get their ideas on communicating information.  .  VISUALS:  Computer laptop with stories; service learning activity. Training students to help other students.  “Visiting the country of understanding” --if I take some of those courses I might better know what I want to major in.  The Majors fair is like a grand bazaar but we don’t want this to be like that.

Interact around the competencies. .

What does critical thinking look like?  Understanding diverse perspectives --What does that look like?  Make it animated.  Successful if the energy and space is animated.

Sylvia Tag will help train docents so people are prepared and on it that day.  Recruit students who have taken GURs but not majored in that area -- Summer Start students, and AS Board.   Need to provide a big screen.

Emily Borda with Steve V. can ask GUR faculty for syllabi.  :  a  request to GUR faculty teaching GURs next quarter about next quarter’s courses that fall into these areas.  Bring your artifacts.

David Brunnemer can pull a list of winter quarter GUR faculty to invite and bring syllabi and artifacts that would entice students to become more interested in their course.  Wonder, Sapin, Johnson, and Tag volunteered to work with Werder on advancing the planning on this event. 

 

CUE Members of the Viking Landing Process/Event Work Group:  Emily Borda, Nick Wonder, Sylvia Tag, Diane Johnson, Julia Sapin, Carmen Werder

 

Miller concluded the meeting noting future agenda items such as the effort to align GUR courses with competencies and that timeline is underway this fall. 

 

Adjournment – 5:29 pm.

Minutes submitted by Rose Marie Norton-Nader, 9-29-2011

 

 

Present

Name

Role

Area

Term until

1

P

Borda, Emily

Faculty

CST

2012

2

--

Grimm, Jeffrey & ACC rep

Faculty

CHSS (2)

2012

3

P

Johnson, Diane

Faculty

At Large – GUR

2013

4

P

Friday, Chris

Faculty

CHSS (1)

2013

5

P

Miller, Matthew

Faculty

Woodring

2012

6

--

Arvizu, Fabiola, ASVP-Acad

Student

GUR, ASVP Acad 2011-12

2012

7

--

Abel, Troy

Faculty

Huxley

2013

8

--

Singh-Cundy, Anu

Faculty

At Large – GUR

2012

9

P

Tag, Sylvia

Faculty

Western Libraries

2012

10

P

Larner, Dan

Faculty

Fairhaven

2012

11

P

Sapin, Julia

Faculty

CFPA

2013

12

P

Wonder, Nicholas

Faculty

CBE

2012

13

--

 

Student

GUR ASVP Acad 2011-2012

2012

14

      --

Luke, Linda

Ex Officio, nv

Registrar’s Office

 

15

P

Werder, Carmen

Ex Officio

Writing Programs

 

16

P

VanderStaay, Steven

Ex Officio

VP Undergrad Education

 

17

P

Brunnemer, David

Ex Officio, nv

Registrar

 

18

--

Loudon, Tina

Ex Officio, nv

Director, Advising

 

19

--

Purdie, John

Ex Officio, nv

Director, Residences

 

20

P

Norton-Nader, Rose Marie

Recorder, nv

Faculty Senate, ACC

 

 

 

(Rep from ACC – Jeff Grimm)

 

 

 

 

 

September 29, 2011

 

TOTAL

12