back

 

Faculty Senate Library Committee

June 4, 2008

MINUTES  

Present:  Craig Moyer (Chair), Chris Cox (ex-officio), Frank Roberts (ex-Officio), Donna Packer, Andrea Peterson, Shawn Knabb, Kathleen Tomlonovic, Nicholas Wonder, Ron Helms, Margaret Fast

Guest:      Rick Osen

Absent:    Wendy Wilhelm                                 Minutes taken by:  C. Mallison

 

I.                    Call to order:  The meeting was called to order by Committee Chair, C. Moyer at 4:05 p.m.

 

II.                  Minutes:  Minutes for May 21, 2008 were approved by unanimous vote.

 

III.          Announcements:

a)     Welcome new Dean of Libraries:    Members welcomed the new Dean of Libraries, Christopher Cox, to the Senate Library Committee. 

b)       New SLC Member:  Members also welcomed Margaret Fast, who has been elected to serve a three year term on the SLC as a library faculty representative, replacing A. Peterson, whose term has expired. 

 

IV.                Discussion: 

a)     Election of new Committee Chair:  C. Moyer asked for a change in the agenda, to elect a new Chair before the committee starts into discussion of issues.  After members held a brief discussion, K. Tomlonovic made a motion to elect R. Helms as the SLC Chair; C. Moyer seconded the motion.  Members unanimously agreed by vote.

b)     Budget Request for Additional Journal Funding:  R. Helms told members he presented copies of an excerpt from the budget request narrative (which J. Boles sent to members recently) to the Faculty Senate when they asked for ‘Constituents Concerns’. He also read part of the brief narrative, explaining the graph which reflected the growing budget shortfall for journals due to rising inflation costs (approximately 11% per year) and shortage of funds.  He also told the Senate that the library was promised a 3% increase in funds this year to help cover this inflation cost but the money was not received.  President Morse said she would bring this to the attention of incoming President Shepard. 

        Members discussed the budget request narrative and whether to send a letter of support regarding this request to the Provost and President’s office and to the Faculty Senate.  D. Packer moved that it be noted in the minutes that the committee members support this library budget request narrative which was presented to the Faculty Senate by R. Helms.  C. Moyer seconded, but the motion was tabled for further discussion.  It was suggested that (a) a request should be made to the Faculty Senate to make the library inflation a formal agenda item next fall, (b) make a formal request to the Faculty Senate asking for their support of this budget request narrative, (c) that this committee’s support be noted in the minutes, and (d) that a letter of support be sent to the President and Provost’s offices.

        C. Moyer made a motion that the SLC send a letter of support regarding the budget request narrative to the President & Provost’s offices, and also add the following statement to the minutes: 

        “The Senate Library Committee fully supports the library budget request as presented to the Faculty Senate by Ron Helms on June 2nd, 2008.  They also request that those responsible for planning the university’s budget, address this reoccurring and escalating problem of journal  inflation costs.” 

        The motion was seconded by R. Helms and the vote to approve was unanimous.

c)       Online Survey:  D. Packer asked members about sending out the data received from the online survey (conducted by the committee) to the library faculty liaisons.  They agreed it would be ok to send it out but with the proviso that any personal information be kept private by the liaisons.

 

 

d)       Goals for Next Year

Ø       Increased communication with library and with campus

Ø       Formalize lines of communication with faculty, i.e. establish ‘liaison hours’ within departments on campus

Ø       Find better ways to communicate library issues with campus

Ø       Provide ideas on outreach opportunities, i.e. “14 Days to Have your Say!”

Ø       Provide input on strategic planning

Ø       Discuss idea of faculty publishing their works in Open Access journals.

 

e)   Meetings Next Year:  Members agreed to meet more often each quarter in the next academic year; C. Mallison to schedule three meetings for Fall Quarter.  Also, members agreed to adjust the start and end times of the meetings; they will begin at 4:15 p.m. and end at 5:30 p.m.

 

 

V.         Future Agenda Items: 

Ø        See Above (d)

 

           

VII.       Adjournment:   The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.