back

 

Faculty Senate Library Committee

January 19, 2011

MINUTES  

 

 

Present:  Chris Cox (ex-officio), Rae Lynn Schwartz-DuPre (Chair), Jeanne Freeman (Vice-Chair), Nicholas Wonder, Ron Helms, Margaret Fast, Brian Bingham, Doug Clark, Rob Galbraith (for Frank Roberts), Stan Goto, Rick Osen

Absent:    Frank Roberts (ex-officio), Cristina de Almeida, Kathryn Anderson

Minutes taken by:  Connie Mallison

 

I.              Call to order:  The meeting was called to order at 4:00 p.m.

II.            Minutes:  Minutes for January 5, 2011 were approved with one correction and one abstention.

III.         Announcements:  A draft plan is being considered for moving the Map Library materials.  If approved, this would move approximated 55% of the materials to Wilson 1West.  Brief discussion followed on this.

IV.        Action Items:    

a)   SLC Liaison Memo:  There was a short discussion regarding some minor changes to the draft memo that SLC members plan to send out to department chairs.  They agreed to remove the last sentence of the first paragraph; then a motion was made to accept the revised memo as final.  The motion was seconded and the vote to approve was unanimous.  Members agreed to send out this memo to their department chairs by next Wednesday, Jan 26th, and then bring any feedback received to the next SLC meeting on Feb 2nd for further discussion.

 

V.            Reports:

a)   Deanís Update

      Budget Cut Targets:  The Provost has given the Library targets of 5% and 7% for possible budget cuts for the upcoming biennium budget. The Dean said the Provost also wants everyone to provide a list of strategic initiatives that will cover the next six years, including how these initiatives will be funded.  Dean Cox is creating a committee that will review the Librariesí strategic plan and come up with a list of initiatives.  These will then be turned over to the Budget & Services realignment committee for funding ideas.

      Organizational Development Coordinator: An internal advertisement to apply for the new position, Organization Development Director, has gone out to Library personnel.  This pilot project will run for one year and will take up Ĺ time of the applicantís regular job. Applications are due Friday, Jan 21st and interviews will take place during the week of Jan 24th.

      Fundraising Committee:  The Dean is putting together a Library Fundraising Committee, comprised of Library faculty and staff.  This committee will help the Dean with fundraising since the Library no longer has a Foundation Development Officer.

 

b)   Faculty Senate - SLC Charge Update:  Jeanne Freeman will be giving a presentation at the next Faculty Senate meeting (Monday, Jan 24th) re the proposed changes to the SLC Charter.  Dean Cox and Ron Helms are planning to attend as well to help answer any questions that may arise.

 

 

VI.          Discussion:

a)   Prioritizing Discussion Topics  

      Rae Lynn gave a brief explanation of the documents she handed out regarding the outcome of the recent feedback she received on prioritizing the list of discussion topics.  The top two topics were Acquisition Allocations and Collection Development (tied).  It was suggested that before discussion begins on acquisitions allocations, the group should first learn the history of how this process came to be what it is today. 

      Rae Lynn asked about seeing copies of past documents on this subject to get a better idea of the history; Dean Cox and Ron Helms will provide these.  Nick Wonder, Rick Osen and Ron Helms will lead a discussion on the allocations history at the next meeting.

b)   LibQual Summit:  February 22nd , from 4:00 to 5:30 p.m. has been confirmed as the date and time for the Librariesí LibQual Summit event. It will be held in the VU and will be facilitated by the Libraries and TLA.  A wide range of faculty, students and administrators from across campus will be invited to participate, including all members of the SLC.  Discussion will center around the conflicting results, between students & faculty, from the last LibQual survey, and itís hoped that the outcome of the Summit will provide direction for where the Libraries should be heading in the future.

      Margaret Fast was asked to provide Frank Haulgren with a list of faculty that should be invited to be sure that all disciplines are covered.  Also, if a invited faculty member canít attend, the Dean will be asked to nominate someone else from that area.

      The LibQual Summit attendees will mostly be working in 5 to 6 small focus groups, facilitated by TLA.  Note takers will be needed for each of these groups; Rae Lynn offered to have Communications students do the note-taking.  Dean Cox will check on this with the Library committee putting this summit together but that this would be a good idea.

                 

 

Adjournment:   The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.