back

Faculty Senate Library Committee

October 19, 2011

MINUTES  

 

 

Present:   Nicholas Wonder (Chair), Stan Goto,  Rae Lynn Schwartz-DuPre, Brian Bingham, Doug Clark, Rob Galbraith (ex-officio), Rick Osen (ex officio), Cara Jaye, Gabe Gossett, Jeff Purdue (ex-officio)

Absent:    Chris Cox (ex-officio)                                    Minutes:  Connie Mallison

 

I.              Call to order:  The meeting was called to order at 4:05 p.m.

II.            Minutes:  Minutes for Oct 5, 2011 were approved as written, with one abstention.

III.         Announcements / Constituents Concerns:  None

 

IV.          Discussion:

a)     Review SLC Charge: Members discussed the revolving membership terms on the SLC Charge.  It was noted that Fairhaven’s representative has stepped down so they currently are not represented on the SLC.  Nick Wonder suggested he would volunteer to represent Fairhaven until such time that the college can find a new representative.  Jeff Purdue also noted that the former rep, Kathryn Anderson, agreed to be Jeff’s Fairhaven contact regarding acquisition questions.   A motion was made and seconded to have Nick Wonder temporarily represent Fairhaven; the motion was approved by unanimous vote.

b)    Process for Subscription Cuts: Jeff Purdue led a discussion regarding setting up a process to review journal subscriptions prior to making subscription cuts. Jeff explained the five different  categories of subscriptions (i.e. standard orders, database, single title), and members discussed ideas for prioritizing subscriptions. 

Rae Lynn suggested using the method previously used by Rob Lopresti when he was making cuts to government documents – create a ‘potential’ cut list, then distribute this to campus faculty for review, asking them to comment on any materials listed that they would like retained in the collection.

ACTION: Jeff said he will distribute to members the most current data he has on subscriptions for their review.  These will be ranked by cost-per-use in each of the five categories and he will also explain the flexibilities of various subscriptions as well.  Data will include what is offered in both print and online. Members were asked to review this material and provide feedback at the next meeting. Jeff noted that the Libraries will not be purchasing any print journals if they are available online.

c)     November Presentation to Faculty Senate:  Karen Stout asked Dean Cox and Jeff Purdue to give a presentation to the Faculty Senate regarding the new Demand Driven Acquisition process for purchase of books.  Karen said she would send questions over to the Dean to help with preparation in advance of the presentation.

ACTION: Jeff said he would share the questions and  data prepared for the answers at the next SLC meeting.  It was also suggested that the link to Jeff’s FAQ page could be attached to the Faculty Senate agenda.

ACTION:  Members agreed to contact their departments and ask faculty to submit any questions or comments they might have regarding the new acquisition process. These will be discussed at the next meeting. Jeff to send members an email outlining what type of information he needs to receive.

d)    Provost’s Digital Archives Initiative – SLC’s Role:  Nick Wonder and Stan Goto led a short discussion on the Provost’s proposed Digital Initiative Committee and what the role should be for the SLC on this committee.  Members discussed whether a Digital Repository would be a strong asset for the university and whether the cost of such a large project could be funded right now.

It was decided that Nick and Stan would contact the Dean and the Provost to gain a better understanding of what’s expected of this committee, a full plan to be implemented or just information to be gathered for further review.

 

e)     SLC Priorities List for 2011-12:  Stan handed out the list of priorities from last year and asked members to give feedback on what should remain on the list, what should be removed and suggest any new additions.  Members agreed to take the Learning Commons and Orbis Cascade off this list because these are no longer priorities.  It was also suggested to combine Collection Development and Acquisitions and Assessment into one item (collection development) since they overlap.

ACTION:  Rick Osen will work with Nick and Stan to create a new list of priority topics for this year and will also add deadline dates when relevant.  A draft list will be presented at the next meeting.

V.            Reports:

a)   Dean’s Update  (Rick Osen on behalf of the Dean)

Rick Osen told members that the Libraries has begun the search process to recruit a Director of Heritage Resources.  This person will be responsible for Special Collections, Records and Archives, and the Center for Pacific Northwest Studies.

 

 

      Adjournment:   The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.

 

      Next Meeting:  Nov 16th  @ 4 p.m.