back

Faculty Senate Library Committee

October 5, 2011

MINUTES  

 

 

Present:  Rae Lynn Schwartz-DuPre (Chair), Chris Cox (ex-officio), Nicholas Wonder, Stan Goto,  Jeff Purdue,  Brian Bingham, Doug Clark, Rob Galbraith (ex-officio), Rick Osen (ex officio)

Absent:    Cara Jaye                             Minutes:  Connie Mallison

 

I.              Call to order:  The meeting was called to order at 4:05 p.m.

II.            Minutes: No Minutes; this is the first meeting of the academic year.

III.         Announcements / Constituents Concerns:  

Rae Lynn informed members that Jeanne Freeman has had to step down due to a carrying a large workload this year.  Since Jeanne and Rae Lynn are both representing the same college, there’s no need to find a replacement (according to the By-laws, there should only be one representative anyway).  Rae Lynn also said Kathryn Anderson, from Fairhaven, has stepped down as well.  She has contacted the Dean of Fairhaven about appointing a replacement but was told that everyone was under too much workload so there would be no replacement available this year.

The SLC is also missing a Faculty Senate rep; Rae Lynn has spoken to Karen Stout about this and was told this should be taken care of shortly.  There is also a vacancy for the AS Student representative; the Senate has been informed about this as well.  

IV.        Election of Chair / Vice Chair

After a short discussion, a motion was made and seconded to nominate Stan Goto as Vice Chair and Nick Wonder as Chair for the 2012-2012 academic year.  The motion passed with a unanimous vote of all members present.

 

V.              Discussion:

a)     Demand Driven Acquisitions: Jeff Purdue

Jeff told members that this new strategy for handling acquisition requests was announced two weeks ago and is in response to the major cuts taken this year from the acquisitions budget. $184,000 was cut from that budget and this is almost equal to the amount set aside for the purchase of books. In order to protect subscriptions this year, it was decided to cut the book budget to zero, then partially backfill it with some one-time money and purchase books only ‘on demand’ for one year. They also will not be ordering books that are available online or through ILL unless there’s a very specific reason to purchase the book.

To limit large requests that may come in, a list of prioritizing factors has been created (too old, too expensive, need-based, ILL availability etc) that will be used to objectively limit the number of books purchased by one person. Jeff showed members the newly improved online ILLIAD book request form that will be rolled out tomorrow (Oct 6th) and explained the new features, which should give them more information about the order.  He said the Library is trying to avoid purchasing books that sit on the shelves and never get used, but instead buy books that are needed by students and faculty.  He pointed out that a recent study showed that 38% of books purchased in just the past 3 years have never been checked out once.  That’s what they want to avoid in future purchases.

b)    Subscription Review:  Jeff Purdue

Next year the Libraries will likely once again be looking at very large cuts to the acquisitions budget which will directly affect the number of subscriptions that can be ordered, and there won’t be any more ‘one-time money’ to purchase books, so that will have to come out of the budget as well.  Jeff said the next step will be to work closely with campus faculty this year to identify their subscription priorities. Members discussed Jeff’s suggestion that an SLC subcommittee be set up to gather this information.  They also discussed the idea of using Survey Monkey to collect this data from faculty. 

Jeff said it will be important to determine what data is needed and the best way to collect it. He will bring ideas on various collection methods that could be used to the next meeting.  He also asked members to please provide him with lists of contacts for each of the departments in their colleges so he can contact each area directly.  Rae Lynn asked members to please provide this information to Jeff by Friday, October 07th .

ACTION ITEMS:  (1) Jeff to bring ideas on various collection methods that could be used to collect needed data on subscription priorities from faculty; (2) SLC members to send the names of their department contacts to Jeff by Friday, October 07.

c)     SLC Member to Serve on Learning Commons Advisory Board:  Rae Lynn Schwartz-DuPre

Members discussed the request from Carmen Werder to have a representative from the committee serve on the new Learning Commons Advisory Board.  Gabe Gossett offered to serve for Fall Quarter and members agreed.

ACTION ITEM:  Rae Lynn will contact Carmen and let her know that Gabe Gossett will be the SLC representative for Fall Quarter.

VI.          Reports:

a)   Dean’s Update

The Dean told members he just returned from giving a presentation at the UPRC meeting about the Libraries’ two major capital budget proposals.  He said the administration is trying to combine projects around campus to hopefully attract more interest at the state level for funding.  The Libraries’ proposal to fully renovate Wilson Library has been combined with the Humanities building renovation project, which is asking for pre-planning funding this year.  If accepted, this would move the Libraries project up the list for pre-planning by several years. Dean Cox reminded everyone that this was still in the very early stages and would have to go through several hurdles before possible acceptance.

The Dean also told members that Karen Stout suggested he give a presentation to the Faculty Senate on November 7th regarding the Demand Driven Acquisitions project.  He’s not sure if this will happen, but said if it did go forward, he would want Jeff Purdue and some of the SLC members to assist in the presentation.

The Provost told Dean Cox that she’s planning to form a committee this quarter to further explore the idea of creating an Institutional Repository (IR) for the campus – do we need one; is there strong interest; what resources would be needed.  She’s asked the Dean to produce a draft Charge for this committee and suggest some names of possible members.  The committee would be expected to  produce a paper on the findings, probably sometime  during Spring Quarter 2012.  The Dean told members he thought maybe this should be done by the SLC instead of setting up a separate committee.  Members discussed the pros and cons of this idea; the Dean will further discuss this with the Provost and then bring it back to the committee at the next meeting.

ACTION ITEM:  Dean Cox to bring back further information about IR committee to SLC at next meeting.

 

 

      Adjournment:   The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.

 

      Next Meeting:  Oct 19th, 4 p.m. @ HH232