Faculty Senate Library Committee
October 3, 2012
Present: Stan Goto (Co-Chair), Rick Osen (ex-officio), Mark Springer, James Inverarity, Brooke Love, Hilary Schwandt
Absent: Cara Jaye, Doug Clark, Gabe Gossett, Rob Galbraith (ex-officio)
Minutes: Connie Mallison
- Call to order: The meeting was called to order at 4:05 p.m.
- Minutes: Minutes from last meeting held, on May 30th, were approved by email vote so there are no minutes to approve.
- Election of Chair / Review of Charge: Tabled to next meeting due to several members not being present for the election.
- Announcements / Constituents Concerns: None
- Interim Dean’s Update:
- Libraries’ Transition: The Libraries Dean, Chris Cox, left over the summer to take another job in Iowa and Rick Osen was appointed by the Provost as the Libraries Interim Dean. Rick told members that the Provost has appointed a search committee to recruit a new Dean of Libraries, hopefully by next spring. The committee is expected to publish the recruitment ad in the next few days. The SLC is expected to have a role in the interview process for the new Dean.
- Review of Committee’s work: Rick gave a brief overview of what the SLC has been working on over the past year, for the benefit of new members. He said for most of the last few years, the SLC has been focused on helping the Libraries plan and implement acquisitions budget cuts and transforming the acquisitions budget to a new ‘Demand-driven’ model. The committee also looked at how we compared to other innovative libraries across the country. During Spring Quarter, Dean Cox focused on the report, “Redefining the Academic Library”, and brought in several guest speakers who have been successful in implementing, in their libraries, the various initiatives discussed in this report.
- Libraries Initiatives: (1) We will continue to make available and refine the Demand-Driven acquisitions process. (2) The Libraries will be presenting a new Strategic Plan shortly and will be working on an implementation plan to reach the strategic goals it sets out.
- Acquisition Budget 2012-13:
Rick handed out two documents: the first one outlined the Libraries acquisitions budget and funding strategy for 2012-13 and gave a brief explanation. He pointed out that the amount to purchase books will more than double from what we were able to offer last year, and due to one-time funds from the Provost, we will be able to purchase$30,000 in ebooks.
The second handout was a draft of information that will be made available to campus faculty from the Interim Dean explaining this year’s acquisitions funding and providing several links to more information on purchasing books.
Rick told members that this would be sent to them by email in the next couple of weeks and he asked that they forward it to their colleagues in the respective colleges.
Members discussed how the Orbis Cascade Alliance initiatives and its Summit program have further opened up access to information and materials. They also discussed how the expansion of electronic resources continues to transform access to information and publications. The Libraries are interested in engaging faculty about changes in academic publishing models, including such topics as copyright issues and publishing through open access. Rick has met with Kathleen Kitto about partnering to assist faculty with funding and other issues involved with open access publishing.
- Topics for the next agenda – the Libraries Strategic Plan and invite Elizabeth Joffrion to speak on Heritage Resources.
- Connie to send last year’s list of topics to Rick and Stan
- Connie to change the November/December meetings on the Outlook calendar as discussed at this meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 4:55 pm