back

 

 

Faculty Senate Library Committee

November 17, 2010

MINUTES  

 

 

Present:  Chris Cox (ex-officio), Rae Lynn Schwartz-DuPre (Chair), Jeanne Freeman (Vice-Chair), Nicholas Wonder, Ron Helms, Margaret Fast, Stan Goto, Brian Bingham, Cristina de Almeida, Kathryn Anderson, Doug Clark, Rob Galbraith (for Frank Roberts)

Absent:    Frank Roberts (ex-officio), Jake Swanke

Guest:      Francis Halle                                                             Minutes taken by:  Connie Mallison

 

I.              Call to order:  The meeting was called to order at 4:00 p.m.

II.            Minutes:  Minutes for November 3, 2010 were approved with two abstentions.

III.         Announcements:

Rob Lopresti will be giving a presentation in Zoe’s Café (WL279) on how the Libraries’ Map Theft was solved. This is a trial run on holding presentations in Zoe’s to find out if it will work to hold events in this room.

IV.        Action Items:    

a)   Updated Draft SLC Charge: Following a brief discussion, members voted unanimously, with one abstention, to approve “as written” the latest draft of the updated SLC Charge. The Charge document will now be sent to the Faculty Senate for final approval.

V.          Guest Presentation:  (Original agenda line-up of Discussion items was changed.)

Library Space Planning:  Guest speaker, Francis Halle, Director of Space Administration for WWU, gave a presentation to members regarding renovation possibilities for the Libraries’ Reading Room (4 Central, aka the Harry Potter Room).  Students and faculty have made many requests over the past several years to have the Reading Room updated to address the needs of today’s students.  Several options are being considered including:

Ø  Addition of WiFi for computer use. (Use of the room has steadily dropped over the years, especially since student use of laptops became the ‘norm’).

Ø  Remove and/or repurpose the old, existing tables – some of the tables could be remodeled to flatten the tops so they could be used with computers.  It would be too expensive to remodel all of them.

Ø  Addition of comfortable, but tasteful, furniture (chairs & tables), keeping with the original character of the room.

Members discussed the need for both quiet and collaborative spaces in the Libraries and noted that keeping this room as a ‘quiet area’ made more sense than trying to make it collaborative due to the sound ‘echo effect’ in that room.  This would also keep it from being a place to locate the Tutoring Department as well.

Francis noted that the AS and Student Affairs has expressed interest in assisting with funding the above changes, so he has been collecting information and input on this idea before presenting to the Faculty Senate at next Monday’s meeting.

 

VI.          Reports:

a)   Dean’s Update:  Chris Cox gave a brief report on his trip to the fall Orbis Cascade Alliance meeting in Portland last week.  He will be sending out a further report shortly.

b)   Faculty Senate Update:  Ron Helms gave a brief overview of the last meeting but explained that the meeting was disrupted by a ‘lockdown’ situation that lasted for most of the meeting.

c)   Music Library Task Force Update:  Nick Wonder told members that the task force (which he served on) had completed their work on reviewing and rating the all the options put forward by the Music Dept and the Libraries. 

Each were rated by a set of criteria agreed on by the committee but noted that they were not asked to give a recommendation to the Provost – just review each against the criteria.  A final decision by the President will be made shortly but the date has not been set yet; it’s expected that an announcement will be made prior to the Thanksgiving break

 

VII.         Discussion

a)   SLC – Serving as Liaisons:  Members discussed ways they could best serve as liaisons for the Libraries, with better emphasis on more uniform communications across campus.  It was decided to create a memo that will go out to all Department Chairs, introducing the SLC member as a ‘ liaison between that college and the Libraries. It will explain what the SLC does and encourage them to send issues, comments, feedback to the SLC member/liaison. 

      Members will also ask the Chairs to provide the name of a faculty member in the department (if not themselves), who would serve as the ‘contact person’ to facilitate discussion on department library issues and provide feedback on their library needs.

      An Ad-hoc Committee was formed to create this draft memo and bring it to the next meeting.  Nick Wonder, Doug Clark and Brian Bingham volunteered for this duty.

                 

Before adjourning, Jeanne Freeman asked members to forward any agenda item ideas to her and she will compile a list for future meetings.

It was also announced that Dean Cox will conduct a ‘field trip’ to the Reading Room at the next meeting.

 

Adjournment:   The meeting adjourned at 5:05 p.m.