back

 

 

Faculty Senate Library Committee

November 3, 2010

MINUTES  

 

 

Present:  Ron Helms, Chris Cox (ex-officio), Rae Lynn Schwartz-DuPre (Chair), Jeanne Freeman (Vice-Chair), Nicholas Wonder, Margaret Fast, Stan Goto, Brian Bingham, Cristina de Almeida, Kathryn Anderson, Doug Clark, John Farquhar (attending for Frank Roberts)

Absent:    Kathryn Anderson, Doug Clark, Frank Roberts (ex-officio)

Guest:      Scott Pearce, Jeff Purdue                

Minutes taken by:  E. Furlong

 

I.              Call to order:  The meeting was called to order at 4:00 p.m.

II.            Minutes:  Minutes for October 20, 2010 were approved with two corrections.

III.         Announcements:

a) Libraries’ Accreditation Commendation: Dean Cox read part of a draft report from the accreditation review in which the Libraries received a commendation.  Once the report is no longer in draft form, it will be shared in full with the committee.    

IV.         Action Items: 

a)   Faculty Senate Directions re Co-Chairs for 2010-2011:  At the October 20th meeting, it was proposed to nominate both Jeanne Freeman and Rae Lynn Schwartz-DuPre to work together as co-Chairs for the Senate Library Committee this coming year.  After consultation with the Faculty Senate, it was agreed that Schwartz-DuPre will be Chair, with Freeman acting as Vice-Chair. One will run the meetings and one will head up the discussion; emails will be shared unless otherwise requested. A motion for this arrangement was made, seconded and approved unanimously.

b)   Updated Draft SLC Charge: Rae-Lynn Schwartz-DuPre met with Scott Pearce for comments he might offer regarding the SLC Charge. Pearce said that things were in a state of flux and that it was up to the SLC to redefine the Charge. He will send the Chairs a copy of the The Guidelines for Faculty Governance in the Colleges, which is currently under discussion at the FS.  He invited members to come to a meeting being held on Monday, November 8 at 4 p.m.  Ron Helms is the SLC’s representative to the FS and members were asked to forward to him any comments about the role of the SLC in regards to shared and transparent governance.  Dean Cox gave an overview of the other governing bodies in the Libraries: (1) Faculty, (2) two Assistant Deans, and (3) the Budget Task Force, which consists of two faculty, two staff, two Assistant Deans, and the Assessment Coordinator. Members discussed and made changes to a draft SLC Charge in order to move forward, with the intention to go back later and look at the Charge again. Schwartz-DuPre will reformulate the document with the agreed changes and circulate it to the group. This will be a future ‘action item’ for the SLC.

V.          Reports: The agenda called for a “Dean’s Update;  Review of New Reductions to Libraries’ Budget; and Music /Map Libraries Consolidation Proposal”. However, Jeff Purdue, Collection Development Librarian,  presented in regard to the ‘Review of New Budget Reductions’; the Music/Map Libraries Consolidation Proposal was moved to Discussion (below).

Jeff Purdue gave an overview of the Review of New Reductions to the Libraries’ Budget and also of two documents that he wants to distribute to all faculty as soon as possible. The first is a memo to explain the upcoming acquisitions budget reduction and the measure used for identifying journals to be cut. The second document is a list of journals the library plans to cut.  Purdue explained that the library is looking to fold Interlibrary Loan (ILL) into the acquisitions budget since ILL is another way in which to obtain articles. Jeff inquired whether this was something that the Library Liaisons or SLC members should bring to their constituents.  Members were asked to review both documents and get back to Purdue with their comments by Friday, November 5th.

 

 

VI.           Discussion: Original agenda line-up of Discussion items was changed.

 

a)   Updated Draft SLC Charge:  Scott Pearce, Guest Attending. See above Action Item b.

c)   Meetings – Times & Frequency of  SLC Meetings:  Members discussed the possibilities of increasing to weekly meetings and/or starting meetings earlier at 3 p.m.  Due to scheduling conflicts, it was agreed to keep meetings scheduled as they are, every other Wednesday, beginning promptly at 4 p.m. and ending at 5 p.m. with sub-committees to be appointed as needed.

b)   Music Library Task Force: Nick Wonder sent an email to members with the proposals that are being examined by the Task Force.  Wonder explained that the acquisitions budget is already being cut by more than $13,000. The proposals under consideration are: 1) moving the Music Library over to the main library; 2) reducing main library hours –Saturday and some Sunday hours; 3) reducing acquisitions even further; 4) transferring obligations for the Music Library to the Music Department. The task force is to provide analysis rather than a recommendation—with as much detail and commentary as they can provide. The final document will be going to the UPRC. The Ad Hoc committee will make a presentation on Wednesday so members are asked to get any comments back to Nick Wonder regarding the library budget cuts. 

 

 

Adjournment:   The meeting adjourned at 5:05 p.m.