back

 

Faculty Senate Library Committee

February 1, 2012

MINUTES  

 

 

Present:   Nicholas Wonder (Co-Chair), Stan Goto (Co-Chair), Chris Cox (ex-officio), Doug Clark, Rae Lynn Schwartz-DuPre, Carol Janson, Gabe Gossett, Jamie Hamilton, Jeff Purdue, Rick Osen (ex officio), Rob Galbraith (ex-officio)

Absent:    Brian Bingham, Cara Jaye                                         Minutes:  Connie Mallison  

 

I.              Call to order:  The meeting was called to order at 4:00 p.m.

II.            Minutes:  Minutes for January 25, 2012 were unanimously approved with one abstention.

III.         Announcements / Constituents Concerns:  

Ø  The Faculty Survey deadline has been extended to Friday, Feb 10th to be sure they get a good number of responses back. So far 93 responses have been received.  Rick Osen will send the survey to CHSS and Rae Lynn will send a follow-up email encouraging faculty to reply.  It was also agreed that Rick will send out a reminder email to members on Monday, Feb 6th and they will forward that reminder to faculty in their areas.

 

IV.          Reports:

a)     Dean’s Update:

Ø  Faculty Fund for Library Excellence:  The Dean gave a brief explanation of a Faculty Fund for Excellence that the UW faculty & Library recently set up and said he would be interested in setting up something similar.  Members discussed the pros and cons of this idea.  They asked the Dean to find out whether or not the UW faculty supported this new fund, whether ‘gifts-in-kind’ were part of this, and how much money had been donated so far. Some concern was expressed as to whether this was the right timing to start this fund.

After discussion, members agreed to send a draft proposal to the Faculty Senate Executive for their consideration and feedback. Dean Cox will write up the draft proposal and send it out to members for feedback. Then it will be forwarded to the Executive Board.

b)    Faculty Senate Update: There is no update because there is still no Faculty Senate Rep for the Libraries.

V.            Discussion:

a)    Learning Commons Presentation – Carmen Werder and Gabe Gossett

Carmen Werder and Gabe Gossett presented slides and a sample brochure which explained what the Learning Commons is and its main purpose: 

Ø  “A vibrant, interactive space on the second floor of the Library at WWU.”

Ø  “A pool of teaching and learning resources to enhance the learning environment at WWU for everyone.”

Ø  “A central hub for exchanging ideas, engaging in and experiencing individual learning and collective discovery.”

Carmen explained that the Learning Commons is in ‘Phase One’ of their long-range plan, which involves bringing partners together in the Libraries.  Currently these partners include Circulation Services, Instruction and Research Services (reference), the Student Technology Center, the Writing Center, the Tutoring Center, the Teaching-Learning Academy and Writing Instruction Support.  The plan also includes making the Viking Village online forum a virtual extension of the Learning Commons as well.

Members felt this has become an important resource for the campus. They asked how this was being marketed to freshmen and freshmen faculty, and whether faculty could show students how to use the Learning Commons in an integrated way.

Carmen said she currently has two ‘distinguished student’ employees working to develop a staff development program which will help faculty learn how to use the Learning Commons so they can, in turn, teach students how to use it to its full advantage.

Members gave the following suggestions:

Ø  Have the Library faculty liaisons offer a “Learning Commons Orientation” to campus faculty in their areas, as well as to new faculty during the annual ‘new faculty orientation’.

Ø  Promote the idea of faculty holding some of their office hours, or workshops, in the Learning Commons while their students are working on their assignments.

Ø  Faculty could mention the Learning Commons in their class syllabus.

Ø  SLC members could help identify large 101, survey classes where a library or Learning Commons rep could provide instruction on how to integrate the LC resources into their course.  This will be added to a future agenda.

 

b)    Orbis Cascade Initiatives – Tabled to next meeting

c)    Plan for Approaching Acquisitions Reductions – Tabled to next meeting

 

 

 

      Adjournment:   The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.