back

 

Faculty Senate Library Committee

February 16, 2011

MINUTES  

 

 

Present:  Chris Cox (ex-officio), Rae Lynn Schwartz-DuPre (Chair), Jeanne Freeman (Vice-Chair), Nicholas Wonder, Ron Helms, Doug Clark, Rob Galbraith (for Frank Roberts), Stan Goto, Rick Osen, Brian Bingham, Andrew Merklinghaus

Absent:    Frank Roberts (ex-officio), Cristina de Almeida, Kathryn Anderson, Margaret Fast

Minutes taken by:  Connie Mallison

 

I.              Call to order:  The meeting was called to order at 4:00 p.m.

II.            Minutes: Minutes for Feb 2, 2011 were approved with one correction in ‘Constituents Concerns’ and two abstentions.

III.         Announcements / Constituents Concerns:  None

IV.        Action Items:    

a)   Set up Email Notification for Dean’s Blog:  There is a way to do this but not sure exactly how; it’s being investigated further.  Something should be set up soon.

 

V.            Reports:

a)   Dean’s Update

Ø  Budget discussions continue; looks like the university is leaning more toward the 7% cut for the Libraries.  This would amount to $456,000 cut to the base budget for the Libraries.

Ø  A Library General Staff meeting was held this week to work on the Libraries’ Vision Statement and connecting the Libraries’ Strategic Plan with the university’s long term budget process. The Dean will send a copy of the GS meeting minutes to members.

Ø  Orbis Cascade Alliance has begun work on a new “Threshold” initiative, which looks at the viability of using the Threshold system to keep track of book ‘ownership’ and purchases for all member institutions.  If this system is adopted, it would provide information on how many copies of a book already exist within the Alliance, prior to making the purchase. The initiative would ask all libraries to seriously consider not making their purchase if at least 3 copies already exist with other libraries and instead to consider purchasing a new book that the Alliance doesn’t own.  However, this would be voluntary since there are extenuating circumstances with some purchases. Using this system could potentially save Orbis members thousands of dollars.

Ø  The Libraries are currently assessing their microfiche collections with a view to downsizing them.  Most of this information, such as Government documents, is now easily available online so the collections are quickly becoming outdated and not used. Just removing the collections that are available online will free up a lot of ‘badly needed’ space.

     

b)   Faculty Senate Update:  Rae Lynn told members that the Faculty Senate voted to approve the new SLC Charge as amended.

 

VI.          Discussion:

a)   LibQual Summit Preparations:  The Dean asked SLC members to help find more faculty members to participate in the LibQual Summit.  An email was already sent on behalf of the SLC to Chairs and Department Heads asking for their help in finding participants if they could not attend.  Members asked the Dean for a list of those who have agreed to attend; Chris said he would send this by email. Also, a report on the results of the Summit will be compiled and distributed by Carmen Werder, hopefully at the start of Spring Quarter.

     

.

b)   Development of White Paper re Proposed Changes to Acquisitions Allocations:  Rae Lynn gave a brief explanation of the documents she sent out earlier regarding possible outline and ideas for the White Paper discussed earlier.  Dean Cox suggested that this paper should give a basic historical outline, explain what process we have now, explain why that process isn’t working, and what changes the Library is proposing. This should be a short paper, not too long.

      Members discussed the outline and the ideas for a new allocations process. Some proposed that this shouldn’t be written as a White Paper but rather a justification for a new process, requesting input from around campus on how that process should be shaped.

      Rae Lynn and Jeanne suggested dividing up the ‘production process’ of writing the paper between members and everyone could bring a rough draft of their part to the next meeting. Ron and Nick will cover #1; Chris & Rick will cover #2; Jeanne, Rae Lynn and Stan will cover #3a; Doug and Brian will cover #3b; Andrew will work on #6; Chris, Rick and Jeff Purdue will cover the last point, #7.  Rae Lynn will send out a complete list by email showing assignments for each section.

                 

 

Adjournment:   The meeting adjourned at 5:05 p.m.