back

Faculty Senate Library Committee

April 27, 2011

MINUTES  

 

 

Present:  Rae Lynn Schwartz-DuPre (Chair), Jeanne Freeman (Deputy Chair), Chris Cox (ex-officio), Nicholas Wonder, Ron Helms, Stan Goto, Rick Osen, Margaret Fast, Cristina de Almeida, Kathryn Anderson,  Andrew Merklinghaus, Jeff Purdue, Roger Anderson (for Doug Clark)

Absent:    Brian Bingham, Doug Clark, Frank Roberts (ex-officio), Rob Galbraith

Minutes:  Connie Mallison

 

I.              Call to order:  The meeting was called to order at 4:00 p.m.

II.            Minutes: Minutes for April 13th, 2011 were approved as written with no abstentions.

III.         Announcements / Constituents Concerns:  

a)   Dean Cox said he has received a concern from History faculty member, Johann Neem, who felt the LibQual Summit report did not reflect all sides of the groups’ conversations at the Summit. Dean Cox has asked Frank Haulgren and Carmen Werder to review their notes and try to reflect some of Johann’s concerns into the report.

 

IV.          Reports:

a)     Dean’s Update

Ø  The Tutoring Center will be moved to the Libraries sometime either prior to or during Fall Quarter. Issues still to be resolved before this move are: 1) when will the Modern & Classical Languages labs move to their ‘new home’ in Miller Hall, and 2) who will pay the moving costs and costs for restructuring the space for Tutoring’s needs.

Ø  The Writing Center has already outgrown their temporary space in the Library so a larger space in the Libraries is being sought for them.  The current video area is a possible option but a decision on what to do with the videos will need to be made first.  It’s hoped the center can also be moved by Fall Quarter.

Ø  The Libraries Instruction & Research Services have been working for the past few months on a plan to create a new ‘college-based’ reference liaison structure. Each college will have one liaison except for CHSS which will have two due to its size.  This new structure will more closely align with the new SLC  college-based structure, and it will help re-distribute the workload to compensate for the recent resignation of a reference librarian. It was noted that this change will probably have minimal effect on the departments, especially since the acquisitions process is changing as well.

b)    Faculty Senate Update

Karen Stout will replace David Meyers, who is stepping down as Vice President of Faculty Senate due to accepting a new position in Virginia. Karen will also serve as Senate President in 2011-2012.

 

V.            Discussion:

a)   Feedback on Acquisitions Funding Change Proposal Document:

Each member gave feedback from their departments and colleges regarding the recently released Acquisitions Funding Change document. Dean Cox and Jeff Purdue also presented the document to the Deans’ Council at a recent meeting and it was well received by the Deans and the Provost.  Most feedback so far has been ‘positive’ although Jeff has received some questions and concerns from various faculty members, which he is using to build an FAQ page.  Some concerns raised are:

Ø   How to keep access available to journals that are required by some colleges’ Accreditation Bodies even though they may be expensive – for small programs, this could be a problem

Ø   More detail to the firm order funding process is needed

Ø   Access to specific journals was questioned; can Summit / ILL fill in the gaps?

 

 

The Dean also confirmed that the proposed change to acquisitions funding will be implemented on July 1st, 2011.   

Members also discussed:

Ø   how the new serials budget would work and also how electronic reserves will work if we no longer have the journal requested. It was noted that ILL cannot be used for database access.

Ø   Cancelling a database is a bigger decision and goes through a different process than journals.

Ø   The ‘bundles’ of journals offered by the publishers/aggregators can change slightly each year and the libraries is not always given advanced notice of these changes

 

The most important questions to answer now are: How to identify firm order funding amounts at the college level. Also, how will this be managed by the colleges.  Members suggested that we look at how other institutions are handling this issue.  Jeff asked members to please forward their ideas to him on how to apportion this funding to colleges, as well as any other questions or feedback/concerns they receive from their college’s faculty.  He will send out the FAQs to members in the next couple of days and also post a link on the Libraries’ home page.

 

b)   Create Review Process for Firm Order Funding: Item tabled to next meeting.

     

 

                  Adjournment:   The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.