ABSTRACT of Faculty Senate Meeting January 10, 2005
· Jim Stewart, 2004-2005 Senate President, called the Senate to order at 4:10 pm. Senators approved minutes of November 22, 2004 and Standing Committee minutes.
· President Stewart reported that the Board of Trustees at its December meeting had approved the Tenure and Promotion policy passed by the Senate, as well as changes to the Legislative committee structure.
· Stewart reported that a tape and DVD from the faculty forum on unionization would be available shortly from the library. A voter’s guide is also nearing completion. Vice President Bill Lyne reported that the Public Employees Relations Board (PERC) along with the UFW (United Faculty of Western) and the Administration would set the date for an election on whether or not to form a faculty union.
· Stewart reported excellent give and take has taken place in discussions with president and provost on the Revised Faculty Grievance Procedure. The draft will be voted on shortly and Bodman has agreed the policy will come before the Board of Trustees before the end of the academic year. Stewart asked that suggested revisions be forwarded to the Executive Committee so that editing would not take place during Senate meetings.
· Provost Bodman reported that an announcement of the new Vice President for External Affairs would be made within two weeks.
· Bodman will provide a report to the Senate on approved faculty leaves by next meeting.
· Senators noted that The Ad Hoc Committee on Library acquisitions has completed its report. The Library Committee will continue to review the challenge of funding library inflation.
· Senators voted a second time and passed a motion to ensure that Senate agenda items are delivered to the faculty via web posting, email message, flyer, or FAST publication.
· Senators voted to adjourn at 5:10 p.m.
Appointments and Elections – Jeff Newcomer, Officer
Senators approved the 2005 Senate Election calendar.
Ad Hoc Committee on Evaluation of the FIG program, 4 faculty through Spring quarter
University Planning Council, term ending Spring 2006
Faculty Development Grants, 2 nominees, one to be appointed (3-yr term, tenured)
Sustainability Committee – 1 faculty rep (1-yr term)
Legislative Liaison, Fall 2005 – to attend 2 legislative meetings Winter Quarter as deputy liaison, and become Legislative Liaison Fall 2005. Release time and travel available. Contact Jeff Newcomer or the Senate Office.