ABSTRACT of Faculty Senate Meeting May 16, 2005
· Jim Stewart, known as President Pro Tem, following the Seating of the 2005-06 Senate, called the old Senate to order at 4:03 pm following Orientation. New Senators were welcomed and approved minutes of May 2, 2005 and Standing Committee minutes.
· Stewart reviewed the extensive Senate motions of 2004-05 and noted that the University budget as a whole will be a significant topic in 2005-06. Stewart called for continued nominations for Ombuds. James Loucky forwarded a report from the Bicycle Committee to the Executive.
· 2005-06 President Bill Lyne presented a Resolution Honoring Jim Stewart for his service which the Senate passed by acclamation.
· University President Karen Morse applauded Stewart for his diplomacy and effectiveness.
· Morse announced that Western had received matching grants from the legislature for Distinguished Professor awards of $250,000, and for a Graduate endowment of $25,000. Endowment moneys and scholarships are used to enhance graduate fellowships.
· Morse lauded faculty efforts in expanding this year’s extensive Scholars Week.
· Provost Bodman announced that the Strategic Action Planning Committee chaired by himself and Jeff Newcomer will join Senate discussions next week in anticipation of faculty input in redrafting the Plan
· Senators discussed administrative review and a possible motion for the May 23rd meeting which would demand faculty participation in planning the tools of a review as well as participation in analysis of the evidence.
· SEATING OF THE 2005-2006 Faculty Senate and Election of Officers. Senators elected Bill Lyne, English, President of the 2005-06 Senate, who takes office on June 22, the first day of Summer Session. The Executive Council will include: Vice President and Parliamentarian: Ira Hyman, Psychology; Appointments and Elections: Jeff Newcomer, Engineering Technology; Secretary: Lorraine Kasprisin, Woodring; At-Large: Laura Laffrado, English; Legislative Liaison: Sara Singleton, Political Science; and Past President, Jim Stewart, Physics Astronomy. Senators then appointed members to Senate Standing Committees, and referred faculty to the Senate website at http://www.acadweb.wwu.edu/senate for committee charges.
· In an Agenda item renamed “Faculty Caucus”, the Senate moved to a Committee of the Whole, at 5:35 pm. and moved to adjourn at 6:22 pm.
Appointments and Elections – Jeff Newcomer, Officer
Faculty Senate: 1 from College of Fine and Performing Arts, through 2006