ABSTRACT of Faculty Senate February 23, 2009
Matthew Liao-Troth, 2008-09 Senate President, called the Senate to order at 4:05 pm. Senators accepted Senate minutes of February 9, 2009 and Standing Committee minutes.
· John Purdy, Senate Legislative Liaison reported on legislative bills and asks faculty to email him if they have questions on bill details. Purdy announced the March 18th “Faculty Serving Washington” Day at which faculty will make presentations of their research and teaching to legislators.
· Liao-Troth announced that faculty can view a report on 2008 alumni satisfaction survey data by college and department at http://www.wwu.edu/socad/osr/AlumniSurveys.shtml .
· Liao-Troth reported: 1) Spring registration is going forward and information about classes will be available as we know more about the budget; 2) The pre-built mid-term student evaluation on Blackboard (Bb) can be edited and administered to fulfill requirements to evaluate; 3) A committee chaired by Steve Sulkin has been created to develop a 20-year out plan for graduate study at Western; 4) Faculty are encouraged to attend open forums for dean candidates for the Colleges of Humanities and Social Sciences and Fine and Performing Arts, and for feedback on Parking and Transportation (see calendar below).
· President Shepard reported: 1) Three finalists are being considered for Vice President of Business and Finance while programs in that area are being examined; 2) Shepard continues to lobby legislators for tuition flexibility during the budget crisis; 3) There is no truth to rumors that graduate programs will be cut; 4) A fictitious press release imputes Western’s commitment to student and faculty diversity.
· Andrea Goddard, Associated Students Vice President-Academics reported that the AS Board is spearheading support for the legislature’s tuition policy; the AS is studying how lab upgrade and repair funds from the Student Technology Fee are actually allocated.
· Bill Lyne, President UFWW, announced a legislative bill that exempts collective bargaining agreements from a previous freeze; Lyne is working with WTA and AFT of Washington to ensure that a significant amount of the $818 million promised to Washington State is spent on higher education.
· MOTIONS: Senators moved in two separate actions to approve the revised Constitution of the Faculty (Article V), and to approve revised Faculty Senate Bylaws (Bl 7 through Bl 9). The motions passed unanimously.
· Senators discussed ways of implementing cuts to the Senate budget then moved to adjourn at 5:16 pm
APPOINTMENTS AND ELECTIONS –Tracy Coskie, Appointments Officer
Senators reviewed “Apportionment of Senate Seats” for the 2009 elections and learned that the Nominating Petitions will be sent to all faculty via email. Nominees need five faculty signatures to run for the Senate and must return the Nominating petition to the Senate office by Friday, March 6th.
1 Vacancy: One faculty for the Parking Appeals Committee
Upcoming Dates of Interest for Faculty
Tuesday, 24 February
Open forum for the Parking and Transportation Advisory Cte, 12-1:30pm, OM 340
Open forum with Jeffrey Gilger, CHSS Dean Candidate, 4pm, AW 204
Wednesday, 25 February
Senate and UFWW with Jeffrey Gilger, CHSS Dean Candidate, 10am, OM 465.
Miller Hall Renovations Open House, 11am-2pm, VU 567
Thursday, 26 February
Open forum with Brent Carbajal, CHSS Dean Candidate, 4pm, AW 204
Friday, 27 February
Senate and UFWW with Brent Carbajal, CHSS Dean Candidate, 10am, OM 465
Open forum for the Parking and Transportation Advisory Cte, 3-4:30pm, OM 340
Monday, 2 March
Open forum with Michael Tick, CFPA Dean Candidate, 4pm, FH 3 (CONFLICTS WITH SENATE EXEC MEETING)
Tuesday, 3 March:
Senate and UFWW with Michael Tick, CFPA Dean Candidate, 2pm, OM 465
Wednesday, 4 March
Faculty Serving Washington (in Olympia) POSTPONED UNTIL MARCH 18 !!!
Monday, 9 March
Open forum with Daniel Guyette, CFPA Dean Candidate, 4pm, FH 3 (CONFLICTS WITH FULL SENATE MEETING)
Tuesday, 10 March
Senate and UFWW with Daniel Guyette, CFPA Dean Candidate, 2pm, OM 465
Thursday, 12 March
Open forum with Paul Bauer, CFPA Dean Candidate, 4pm, FH 3
Friday, 13 March
Senate and UFWW with Paul Bauer, CFPA Dean Candidate, 2pm OM 465